10 Ways To De-Stress During Midterm Season

"I stress about stress even before there is stress to stress about." (Anonymous)

160

Midterms have fallen upon us. I'm stressed, my friends are stressed, our neighbors are stressed. The stress is tangible through the air, and one can't do anything—eat, drink, sleep—without feeling the pressure. Thus, I have gathered ten ways to relieve the anxiety:

1. Color/draw your stress away

Adult coloring is one of the best inventions since sliced bread. I love to just sit and color a beautiful page a million different colors. I wish I could draw, but that would just stress me out more—I can barely draw a circle.

2. Get your heart rate up

Exercising is a proven way to decrease stress: physical activity produces endorphins—the brain's feel-good hormones.

3. Sleep and get your needed rest

Whenever I start to get cranky, I know that my body is asking for a nap. The better night's rest you get, the easier it is for your body to tackle the day's stress.

4. Listen to music and dance around

Shake it off!!! Or listen to your favorite music and just chill.

5. Meditate, focus, and breathe

Be zen and allow tension to flow out through your mind, heart, spine, legs, and out your toes.

6. Call a friend

Friends are the best. They know exactly what to do to help you. Sometimes all you need is a hug, while other times you need to be dragged out of bed.

7. Find something to laugh about

Laughing always helps as it releases hormones—such as endorphins—which are proven to reduce stress hormones and physical pain. Go on YouTube and find something that cracks you up!

8. Take a break and walk away

While studying, if you feel yourself starting to get anxious, recognize the emotions and walk away. Sometimes, all you need is a break and when you come back, things don't seem as stressful as they did before the break.

9. Eat healthy foods

Yes, you can eat to de-stress! However, be careful not to stress eat. Be conscious about what you are putting in your body. Focus on brain food: grab a handful of nuts, dark chocolate, a whole grain muffin, or broccoli!

10. Think of something positive in your future

Think of your end goals. Think of an upcoming vacation. Think of your future, loving family, and all the good things yet to come. Usually, when I am in a stressful situation, I'll think about seeing my friends later in the day or going shopping and forgetting about my hardships.