How Watching 'The Walking Dead' Makes Me A Better Pastor

Believe it or not, "The Walking Dead" can be really inspirational when it comes to ministry and leadership.

32

The Walking Dead is smack dab in the middle of its seventh season and it feels like the show is just getting started. The introduction of Negan, a villain among villains, has blindsided Rick (the main bearded protagonist) and his band of brothers and fierce sisters with challenges far greater than the undead.

I was late to the party joining TWD phenomenon about three years ago; watching out of sheer curiosity, or boredom, or because I was in a classic Netflix show-hole.

A few episodes in, I quickly came to realize that a show about zombies really wasn’t about zombies.

I then started drawing all kinds of parallels between surviving a zombie apocalypse to surviving as pastor or leader.

As crazy as that may sound TWD has numerous surface spiritual themes from locations called Sanctuaries, the eponyms character who looks just like Jesus, to a preacher named Gabriel and people called the Saviors, that are, ironically anything but.

I often find myself joining the #2016sucks bandwagon, but The Walking Dead has given me hope to keep moving, despite the letdowns and the setbacks.

As a pastor, my life is often lonely and misunderstood, so I was quickly pulled into the pace and emotion of the show and drawn to Rick, the Sheriff leading a group of people looking for hope in a hopeless place.

I’ve drawn three parallels illustrating how TWD can be helpful in ministry and leadership.

1. It’s About Survival.

The core of TWD is the idea that no matter how bad things get, you have to keep moving forward.

Movement is life and life is surviving and surviving is winning.

This past year was a rollercoaster. I endued a church split, the crushing blow of loved ones losing a child, and finding myself in the midst of burnout. One of the quotes that has been book marked in my soul is from pastor and author Mark Batterson (Circle Maker) “Sometimes the most spiritual thing we can do is hang in there.”

Every week Rick and his faithful (followers) do just that. They hang in there through it all believing that though things look bleak don’t give up on yourself or others. This too shall pass.

2. Trust Others.

Insecurity will make or break a leader. The ability to trust others is key in leading others whether you are leading survivors to the next sanctuary or leading a Sunday service within a sanctuary.

What separates a leader from a dictator is trust. I’ve seen pastors lead from both of these styles, and the healthier church was always the one with a pastor who developed a culture of trust. People follow Rick because they trust him, people follow Negan because they fear him. Leading with fear may get results but you will never lead anything healthy or lasting. Even if people hurt you, and they will hurt you, trusting others turns dreams into goals.

No one can do it by themselves not even Rick. A sheriff always needs a Deputy.

3. Hope Wins

Despite living in an apocalyptic world without the conveniences of modern technology, people do their best with what they have, where they are. The same is true with a pastor or leader of any organization, there is always the temptation that having more means being more effective, but great leaders find hope in what they already have. What sets Rick apart is his ability to instill hope, he inspires his people.

I often think that is the number one job of a leader is to be a dealer of hope.

Life will never be perfect, people will never be perfect. We all fall short of the glory. There will always be challenges and villains, but hope can be found when you help people find the best in themselves and in others. When you realize the value of leading something bigger than yourself, even if it feels like it’s the end of the world, you have won.