The Waste Management Phoenix Open Is The Greenest Show On Grass

And one of the rowdiest golf tournaments known to fans.

883

This past weekend, I had the opportunity to attend one of the rowdiest golf tournaments in history. This tournament has the word "fun" written all over it. The event itself was amazing, but the people watching was even better. Below, I have added some tips and tricks for attending the event and the amazing experience I had.

Come Prepared

One thing that I wish I had done before the Phoenix Open is known what I was walking into. In the past, I have attended the PGA Tour and the Ryder Cup, the Phoenix Open is a completely different setting. The fans are definitely the rowdiest ones I have ever seen and make the event just that more exciting. When you first arrive, you can park in one of the many parking lots and take a shuttle to the course. Remember your parking lot because, after a long day at the tournament, you do not want to be the one setting off your key fob because you can't find your car. The bag policy at the Phoenix open allows bags that do not exceed 6" X 6" X 6" in their natural state.

Clear bags are highly recommended so you don't have any issues when going through security. Another thing to make sure you do prior to arriving at the event is to make sure you check the weather. The event goes on rain or shine and I would make sure to dress appropriately. Please, do not be that girl that walks around in heels, be comfortable instead so this way you are not struggling to walk around the course all day.

View from the 16th HoleShona Namie

The Infamous 16th Hole

The par-3 16th hole is definitely the most iconic feature the course has to offer. It is the only fully-enclosed golf hole on the PGA Tour, allowing you to take in the high energy all around. The hole itself houses 20,000 spectators and is open to general admission. Personally, I waited in line for around 40 minutes in order to get into the 16th hole and I wouldn't take back any second. The crowd goes insane when a tee shot lands on the green, yet when it misses, the crowd results in boos. Although the Marshalls job is to shush the fans as the golfers tee off, they are not able to control fans engagement as the excitement builds. This hole is one that everyone wants to get into to and if you have the opportunity, I say take it.

The Golfers

This year, many big named professional golfers took on the course. Some such as Jon Rahm, Justin Thomas, Phil Mickelson, Matt Kuchar, and Rickie Fowler. Fans have the opportunity to get an autograph or interact with the golfers up by the clubhouse where the golfers get interviewed by news sources. Some golfers hype up the fans after a smooth swing which only makes the event more exciting. This year Rickie Fowler took the lead and won the tournament with a 17-under 267 for the week. Branden Grace fell short of being claimed champion with -15 and Justin Thomas with a -14. Watching the golfers first hand is one of the coolest experiences and allows the fans to check this off their bucket list!

TPC Scottsdale CoursePascale Bushaw

All There Is To Offer

Aside from the golfing itself, there are many other booths and events the WMO has to offer. Right when you walk through the gates, there are many different vendors lined up in the tent that give out free goodies and allow the fans opportunities to win free stuff. There are also multiple food and drink tents that are spread out around the course in order for fans to get through the day. There are also exclusive Skyboxes offered that are housed at the top of certain hole structures yet have a high price range. Another thing that the Phoenix Open has to offer is the Birds Nest. The Birds Nest is 21+ and offers a concert for four nights. This is definitely the party scene that you do not want to miss. This year's headliners included Old Dominion, Jake Owen, Lee Brice, Michael Ray, The Chainsmokers, Snoop Dog, Kelley James, Martin Garrix, DJ Vice, and Justin Mylo. The Birds Nest offers food, drink, and amazing performers taking place as an after party for the tournament.

Saying Goodbye to the 2019 Waste Management Phoenix OpenPascale Bushaw

Overall, this golf tournament is one you do not want to miss. The golf, the fans, the excitement, no wonder why the Phoenix Open is on the top of many fans bucket list. Special thanks to the Director of Communications for giving me the opportunity to attend the 2019 Waste Management Phoenix Open.