Was Slavery a Choice?

Was Slavery a Choice?

Kanye West's Take on Slavery and his New "Gospel" Album. What was he really saying?

60
Was Slavery a Choice?

(Ye)sus

For centuries religion has been a prominent fixture in human societies. Wars have been fought, lives have been lost, and countries have been leveled. It's safe to say that religion is sacred ground, not meant to be dip and dabbled in like salsa to chips. Similarly in America, slavery and race has been a prominent fixture in almost every facet of everyday life. Slavery and its effects have tremendous negative effects on politics, socio economics, education, and many more aspects that an introductory paragraph cant allot the space for me to list. With the aforementioned in mind it is understandable why the world recoiled in shock and awe when Kanye West proclaimed that "slavery sounds like a choice." If we are still bearing the aforementioned in mind, it also understandable why many felt uneasy when West announced that he was recording a Gospel album. Many disagree with Kanye's proclamation of his Christian Faith. Who are we to tell someone how to be in their faith? Who are we to determine what's right in the eyes of God? (if that aligns with your beliefs) Kanye has released a sonically Christian album, and the internet and all of its glory seem to have something to say about it.

West's comments on slavery being choice are truly mind boggling, considering the fact that Africans did not walk onto slave boats (many times you could be chained to someone who died in their own feces.) willingly. Many people were off put by West's comments. However, Kanye West later tweeted out to explain himself. "Of course I know that slaves did not get shackled and put on a boat by free will. ... My point is for us to have stayed in that position even though the numbers were on our side means that we were mentally enslaved." And, "the reason why I brought up the 400 years point is because we can't be mentally imprisoned for another 400 years. We need free thought now. Even the statement was an example of free thought. It was just an idea." And, "Once again I am being attacked for presenting new ideas." When I read his explanation coupled with his original statement it becomes clear (to me at least) that Kanye simply just isn't the best at verbally expressing his beliefs.

I think that the idea that Kanye was truly attempting to convey was that Slaves were mentally enslaved as well. Their bondage ran so deep at the hands of their oppressors that not only were their limbs in chains, so too were their minds. They were so deeply mentally enslaved that even though they outnumbered their masters, they still remained enslaved for 400 years. The power of the mind is almost beyond comprehension. The placebo effect shows us that if you believe that something is happening to you, even If it is not, you still will believe that something has happened. That is the power of the mind. The mind can create its own reality. Imagine someone creating a reality for you, you can't travel without a master, your marriage wont legally be recognized because of how you look, you job Is hours upon hours of grueling labor (for free), you can be separated from your family at any time, you can be killed for not working, you belong to someone else. You are their property, and that is the reality that has been created for you but not by you. Someone else has created your reality for you through fear and a twisted use of religion. So how can your mind create its own reality where you roam free to love and work as you please? You cannot because your MIND body and soul belong to someone else. Mentally enslaved. While that was the reality of many slaves it barley scratches the surface of the horrors that they truly faced. I think that Kanye was merely trying to illustrate the effects that mental slavery can have, as well as the need for new ways of thinking to avoid the same situation. Did he frame the conversation correctly? Probably not. Was TMZ live the time or the place? Debatable. (maybe had it been done correctly…Still debatable)

We live in a time where everyone HAS to have an opinion. Our technological advances literally allow for EVERYONE to have an opinion. We love to be right and we want everyone to know that we were. In all of that have we lost the ability for someone to clarify their original statement? Have we lost the ability to listen? When Kanye West first made these comments I never heard of his explanation, and from the many social media comments, conversations, and articles that I have read, no one else has either. Either that or like the aforementioned states, we have lost the ability to listen. Even Ashon Crawley in his article "Forgotten: The Things We Lost In Kanye's Gospel Year" references Kanye's explanation (outlined earlier) and still poses this question: "Was I to forget that there was no follow-up clarification regarding enslaved peoples, their descendants and the purported "choice" they made for their own victimization?" West's slavery comments aren't the only thing that has had him in the news. Earlier this year Kanye began to host Sunday services that began as gospel themed Kanye West songs much like his earlier sound. He later proclaimed that he was Christian and that he was releasing a gospel album. Many felt like West was starting a cult. I was personally perplexed by this sentiment. Kanye used music as a vehicle for spiritual uplifting the way many would use a bible study, and many respond to this with "it's a cult." We must keep in mind that Kanye West is an artist first, so the unorthodox is to be expected. However unorthodox the ways in which Kanye West (or anyone else) demonstrates their faith or beliefs, we must be sure that we are not dismissing them simply because they are unorthodox. Who are we to tell someone how to be in their faith? Who are we to determine what's right in the eyes of God?