Was It Worth It? Part II

Was It Worth It? Part II

A question interpreted by you...again.

11
Was It Worth It? Part II
Rawpixel.com

Via email, text, Facebook messenger, and phone, I asked people a simple question: Was it worth it? Again.

I received a plethora of responses for part one of this article, and was sure I asked everyone I knew; however, as you’ll soon read, that wasn’t the case.

Just like last time, I promised anonymity to the responders; I am the only person who knows their identities. Some answers were vague, others were more specific, but they all offered something. There may be life advice you can squeeze out, a giggle or two, or possibly even a tear; it all depends on who’s reading.

My hope is that you’ll take something away, but if you don’t, that’s okay, too.

Of course. Everything is worth it.

At the time, I wasn't sure that I'd done the right thing. But I know now that this was always going to be what I really wanted.

It was very much so worth it. The best in my life…haha. Was what worth it, haha??

Well, I guess I could answer that two ways. There’s the big picture answer where you waffle a bit, but eventually settle on, “yeah, everything I’ve done has gotten me to where I am now, so, yes, it was worth it.” But, of course, there’s a specific event or action or statement that pops into one’s head. For me, that’s a different answer. Sure, I have regrets. Everyone does. There’s a reason people have so many outlets for shit they’re dealing with. Alcohol, drugs, sex, skydiving, water balloon fights, murder. That last one was intended as a joke, but it’s true, man. That’s life. We do shitty things and have to live with them. Your question, I guess, is whether the ‘live with it’ part outweighs the immediate payoff. To that, I say: Fuck. No. Well, maybe. This was typed while dropping a log. I thought you should know.

If it had been anyone else, they would have left and I would have lost the best thing that ever happened to me. I was lucky.

Well, at the time it was. I could have done anything with that money, but I held on to it. You know? Looking back now, I wish I would have ditched it. So, was it worth it? In short, no. In long, yes, haha. There isn't a thing I would do differently. I have done a lot more for a whole lot less. Now that there is a reason to be that person, I have to. So, why can’t I just do it? I mean he deserves it. He deserves what he has coming. He brought it on himself, even if he is my son. I guess that's why they call life a carnival ride. You’re gonna enjoy yourself, but you’re gonna give more than you wanted to a clinically-depressed, smoking psychopath.

Short of maliciously hurting someone, everything is always worth it. An experience is an experience.

Yes, because it taught me something.

Yes, it was worth it. I may not have had it harder than everyone else in life, but in no way does that mean it's been easy. There are a lot of things that I would've changed, but nothing to be done about it now. Tomorrow my answer might be completely different, but at this moment, yes, it's been worth it.

Yes, it was and will always be worth it. You've got to try things in order to find out whether they are worth it for you or not - this is the process of gaining experience. Even if you do things that turn out not to be worth the effort, you still learned a valuable lesson. And after my opinion, its simply more fun to say yes to new opportunities in life rather than to say no. For me this is the essence of being optimistic. Sorry for the late reply, took me some time to formulate my thoughts. My English is already turning bad.

No, because my apartment almost burned down.

Yes. It was. I think everything is. No matter what this question is about, I think every experience is worth it. I can't think of any experience that I didn't learn and grow from. Moving away, perusing my passion, and making mistakes along the way, it's gotten me to where I am today, which is a great place.

Yes. The Switch was worth it. BOTW is amazing. I like to think it was about something a lot deeper than that, but this is how I want to interpret it.

Joining roller derby was absolutely worth it. It was something that got me out of my comfort zone and allowed me to meet an amazing group of incredible women.

It was totally worth it. It was worth the blood, sweat, and tears. It was the most difficult and eye-opening experience. The longest love-hate relationship I've ever held. But, through it all, I found myself and who I really am, and along the way great friends to last a lifetime. So, what was worth it? College was worth it.

No, the tuition is too damn high. In 8 years, it might be worth it, but not right now.

Absolutely! I am a true believer that everything happens for a reason, which means everything we do or don't is worth it.

If there is something learned, then yes. You should always be learning. When you stop learning, you stop living.

Very much so! I learned a lot about myself concerning what I wanted in life and what I wanted to be around. I enjoyed the experience so much, but can’t imagine doing it for a lifetime, being on the road all the time. I enjoy so many other things and can’t imagine being tied down so much. I like having my space and privacy when I want it. Hope this helps. Coffee soon?

Ohh, shit, Brandon, I'm sorry. I completely forgot about this. I don't have the messenger app on phone and I purposely keep the app on its own page of apps, so I don't see the notifications as my own form of self-discipline to not spend so much time on Facebook. If your curious about my answer it would something along the lines of: Yes, every penny. Thinking back to my study abroad trip, sometimes you just can’t put a monetary value on experiences. I think this article turned out great, though.

Within my life, it’s the things that I do that define me, not just for others, but for myself. "Was it worth it?" the answer is always, yes, for it has made me who I am, for better or worse.

Yeah, it was pretty worth it. The goal is to live life with no regrets...every choice I've ever made has made me the person I am in the present. The culmination of some good choices, some bad choices but yeah, it was all worth it.

It’s always worth it. If we don’t reach for things, our arms would atrophy from disuse. The results may feel less than the effort, but at least we exercised out muscles, so to speak, so that muscle memory can kick in when we reach again, resulting in a more positive or desirable outcome.

I agree with the person above me.

Well, everything I once regretted turned out to be worth it. I ended up where I am today and I'm happier than before. There's one thing I'll always wish I didn't do, but I'm lucky enough that my biggest regret still had an okay-ish ending.

No, because boys are gross and they need to be stopped.

Yes, as long as you learn, because if you never do it then you'll never experience it, thus you can't learn from it.

Of course. Perpetuating a learning environment for yourself is always worth it.

Yes. It's always worth it. You either get what you wanted or you learn something about yourself/others. Being worth it and making you happy are two different things.

No, it never is.

Well, I think it was worth it. Because ultimately, what isn't worth it? Not matter how you look at it. Whether you've won the lottery or have been punch right in the face -- either way, you're going to learn something.

I believe that worth is what you are able to offer. Whether it be spiritually, physically or emotionally. Same goes for monetary things. Like, $1 is worth nothing if the cost is $2. It's not able to offer the need it's possessed for. Worth is not attributed to one specific aspect. You’re worth more than you even realize because you'll never realize how much you truly offer to others or the community. Some of your worth will go unnoticed. But, you're able to contribute in some way, therefore, you're worth something.

Living is always worth it. Even when I've been at the absolute bottom of the barrel in the darkest moments, living never stopped being worth it. I know it might not always get better, but on the off chance it could for anyone. I'd say, yeah, worth it

Yes, it was worth it. Why? Because I chose to only do things that are worth while. And this is no exception.

It was worth it, because now I know what I want, what I deserve, and what I will never allow myself to experience again. Sometimes you have to learn what's wrong for you before you're ready to find what's right!

Yes, every damn minute of it. Because the reward outweighed the repercussions.

I think in the end, it's always worth it. No matter what situation you encounter, for better or worse, you'll learn something from it.

Well, everything has a price, we all know that. It doesn't matter if it's love, wisdom, or gluten free pancakes. It'll always be worth it if you take something with you. An experience is only worthless if you refuse to find its value and learn from it.

Yes, it was worth it. Also, exhausting, often frustrating; occasionally it seemed hopeless. And every now and then, a feeling of futility hits me -- they were going to die, no matter how much I tried or cared, despite any new idea that popped in my head to make things better. But, their last days were better than if they had been anywhere else.

I'll determine whether or not it was at a later time. For now, I'll do what I can to one day make it all worthwhile. As ever, it all remains unwritten.

Yes, it was better than most alternatives and set me up for the next opportunity.

Was it worth it, you ask? Hell yeah, it was worth it! If the possible reward wouldn’t have outweighed the risk and possible punishment, then I never would have even attempted it. But…I did go through with it and have hardly ever looked back...when I was younger. But now, a slight bit older and with kids, sometimes I sit back and reflect and think, “Is that something I should have done, was it worth it?” And to that I say, hell yeah! Let’s do it again!

At this point, it’s tough to tell. I’m sure it’s helping me in the long run, but right now, it seems pointless. There’s a certain discipline to it that I’m eternally grateful for, but there are aspects of it that just piss me off. I don’t think they’re concerned with me personally, despite their “you come first” attitude. It doesn’t matter how talented you are when popularity is the contest. I work my ass off for an infinitesimal payoff. I just hope there is some enjoyment for others as a result, because there is nothing in it for me.