Yes, I Want to be a School Counselor

Yes, I Want to be a School Counselor

I'll be the shoulder to lean on.

456
Yes, I Want to be a School Counselor
SavvySchoolCounselor

My dream career is to be a school counselor. I know the risks. I know that I will not make a lot of money. But if I am able to make a difference in a child's life, that's all that matters.

I want to be a counselor because it will make a difference in a child's life. I know I didn't have the best childhood and sometimes it's not easy to talk to your parents about things. I want to be someone that children can come to when they have nowhere else to turn to.

Being a counselor will be tough. Sometimes when people hear others' problems, it can become too much. I am prepared to take that risk. To me, the job is more about helping others than myself. I have to put them first, make sure that they are okay. I am confident that I will be able to handle it though.

It's not a career for everyone. You've gotta be able to put yourself last. You've gotta listen to others. And people love to talk about themselves more than anything, so it's not an issue for them to talk. They want to be heard.

I've been told of the consequences. The stress it can cause, the not so great salary, the 'you wanna listen to children talk about their issues?' conversation. I've heard it all.

But think of the benefits. The idea that you can make a positive influence on a kid's life. The idea that you can make a kid feel better about themselves. The idea that they can leave your office happier and healthier. And who wouldn't want to let a kid feel better about themselves? Want to make them look forward to the future? It's important to make a difference in a child's life. Because you never know what they are going through, and sometimes you just need to listen.