I'm Choosing Seven Extra Years Of Schooling To Be A Real Life Superhero

No, it's not because of "Grey's Anatomy."

278
Mountain Home

What child doesn’t enjoy watching superheroes? They fly around, shoot the bad guys, and save the day - such acts of heroism could inspire anyone. However, watching Spider-Man defeat the Green Goblin and save Mary Jane was no match for seeing my aunt and uncle give free shots, surgeries, and advice to poor children in slums. I spent my summers in India watching my aunt and uncle, both doctors, perform surgery and deliver babies. These were real-world acts of heroism that truly inspired me to want to use science to better the lives of other people.

In my eyes, becoming a superhero was what I always envisioned and being a doctor meant nothing different. However, instead of getting bit by a radioactive spider, my power comes from my fascination with life and my zeal for helping people. One injection, one treatment, or one examination is all it could take to save someone and impact the lives of those surrounding them. A breathtaking field, medicine allows someone who is ordinary to accomplish the extraordinary, to become a superhero, and to save lives. My heroes, both on-screen and off, continuously inspire me to aid people in whatever way I can.

Pediatrician, meaning healer of children, is an area that has interested me since I knew it was a career path that was possible. Having family in the medical field sparked an interest in me of being a doctor early on. Being able to visit other countries and witness their poverty made me realize how simple treatments could save many. Collecting their parent’s medical history, and cross-examining it to see what can be done to prevent any illnesses in their child is appealing to me as in my eyes there can be no greater service done for a child and their family.

Young children are the most important units of our society. Their mere presence brings a smile on our faces, and if they cry even strangers unite to cheer them up. I spent my free afternoons and summers of high school tutoring, giving swim lessons, or even babysitting just to be around them more. Being an educator for them breeds more satisfaction for me than any television show or pool party. They give us hope for the future to be molded into a better society. However, before they can be scientists and presidents of the future, they have to be healthy babies and kids of the present. To be a pediatrician or a gynecologist and ensure the health and safety of the future generation is the first step in molding our future - their future.