8 Reasons Why I Wish I Grew Up In The '80s

And no, I am not just talking about wearing cute, neon scrunchies.

248

The 1980s were, like, totally bitchin' and I wish I could have experienced them firsthand. I truly believe I am growing up in the wrong time period, and here's why...

The MUSIC!!!!!

Honestly, this reason alone gives a full explanation of why I wish I was alive then. 1980s music can never be topped (sorry Beyoncé). No other generation of music creates so many emotions within the minds of its listeners. Think about it… There are songs that make you wanna love hard and rip your heart out at the same time, like "Total Eclipse of the Heart" or "I Want To Know What Love is." Songs about real sex, not just about large butts, "hitting and quitting," or only pleasuring themselves as demeaning rappers do nowadays. Even the really risqué '80s songs like "Cum On Feel The Noize" or anything by Madonna, were all in a playful manner and encouraged pleasure for both partners. Also, songs that just make you feel good about life, such as the classic "Don't Stop Believing" or "Jump." And of course, the best tunes for aging girls to dance around their bedrooms to like "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" or "I Wanna Dance With Somebody".

It's no wonder why my dad lost his hearing in the '80s from blasting songs like "Here I Go Again" and "Livin' On a Prayer" in his 1975 F150 Pickup with subwoofers. The music was to die for and allowed young people to express themselves in so many ways. It is loud and raw, just asking you to headbang and sing as loud as possible. Nothing will ever beat listening to '80s music.

Big shoulders

Clothes, especially jackets, blazers and coats, were amped up with extra shoulder padding. I personally have , shoulders already, so I feel as though I would rock the "big shoulder" look. Also, if you add a belt or something to cinch up your waist, the look really helps to define a woman's curvy body. Plus, how cool is it that a power suit was the look, which is both sexy and empowering.

Big hair

Teasing and perms were the way to go, in order to rock the "big hair" look. For girls with naturally curly and voluminous locks, this was an easy hairstyle to pull off. My hair has both these attributes, so I am just waiting for this trend to resurface. Big hair is also extra and being extra makes life so much more exciting. I'm sure girls bathrooms from the '80s still hold the hairspray smell from when girls would spend loads of time teasing and spraying their hair in order for it to hold the large shape of the time period.

'80s movies

Really though, how many iconic movies came out of the '80s?? Name all the classics and I guarantee most of them are from the '80s or set in the '80s. I truly feel as though I relate to these movies so much, I think my personality and thoughts are straight out of an '80s movie. As well as we have all wished at some point that we were Baby from "Dirty Dancing" or Ariel Moore from "Footloose." Each film shows heartache and struggle and then finishes with a happy ending, allowing us to come full circle at the end. '80s movies are the best!!

The slang

Just to name a few: gag me with a spoon, gnarly, eat my shorts, radical, and take a chill pill. Wouldn't it be, like, totally righteous if it was socially acceptable to use all these sayings now???

No social media

Not having to worry about your next Twitter post, people bragging on Facebook, or how many likes your latest Instagram picture got. Yes, that sounds so nice. People got to communicate on landlines and could angrily hang up the phone to release anger, instead of just ghosting someone on Snapchat, which just leaves you both unsatisfied. I , grow up in a world with more face to face interactions and less social media.

Role models like Princess Diana

Every year my mom still hangs her Princess Diana ornament on the Christmas tree that she got in the '80s and I never understood why or who she was until I got older. A billion people tuned in to see Prince Charles and Lady Diana get married. She was a fashion icon and for good reason, too. Diana learned what looked good on her and didn't always abide by seasonal changes. There are still Instagram pages dedicated to her, that shows the impact she had to young women.

Workout clothing

Legwarmers and spandex are what comes to mind when I think about '80s fashion. I think I would totally be more apt to go to the gym if I could wear these adorable and extremely extra outfits without getting strange looks. I remember playing with Barbies dressed in the cute blue and pink workout outfit and wish I owned one for myself. Everything is more fun when you have the perfect outfit on. Think how much more glamorous sweating during your cardio routines would be while wearing a cute neon-colored outfit.

Basically, a time period where everything made a statement, is where I belong. I say we bring back these trends and see where it takes our society, but for now, I am just going to go watch "Sixteen Candles" on repeat.