Why Waking Up At 6 A.M. Will Change Your Routine For The Best
Lifestyles

I Started Waking Up At 6 A.M. Every Morning And It Made My Days So Much Better

Here's to trying new routines.

264
Photo by Emmie Keenan

OK, night owls. You know who you are.

There would be nights that I absolutely could not sleep, and God forbid waking up before noon. But then I started a new routine.

As gross as the term "6 a.m." sounds, having a set time to be awake has helped not only my physical health but mental health as well. Keeping a consistent routine ensures that you will not be sitting around doing nothing; you're able to keep your head on straight. And while waking up extremely early seems to be a scary thought, it also seems to be a great way to get things done.

Before I go to bed, I sit down and make a list of things I want to get accomplished the next day. This isn't for everybody, but I have found that doing this has made me be more productive than I ever have in my entire life. I am usually the definition of a procrastinator, but after I changed my daily routine, I started changing my eating habits as well.

One of the most important things we can do for ourselves is to take care of our bodies! Do I still eat cookies after 10 p.m.? Absolutely. But I have found that in my time, I want to eat healthier. For me, waking up early has made me feel more of an adult and it makes me want to be one. I have started holding myself accountable for my actions. While it isn't always easy, your body soon gets familiar with your new habits.

Have you ever heard of an internal clock? Yeah, I have that. Even on days that I don't have work and want to try to sleep in, my body automatically wakes me up by 7 a.m. — Yes, this is extremely irritating, but I see it as a way your body is telling you to take care of yourself!

Another thing: Let's talk about coffee.

What happens when you drink too much coffee Giphy

Something that can be your best friend and your worst enemy. I am ashamed to admit that I may have a slight problem. To the point of where my body needs THREE cups before I am good on energy, but hey... Whatever keeps you going! My days are very, very long and keeping a cup of coffee within reach has kept me pushing through. However, drinking too much coffee, or caffeine in general, can lead to sleepless nights and even muscle tremors in certain cases! Be aware!

But in all, waking up early has helped me tremendously. Give it a try — not just for a day, but maybe for a week or two and see how you feel and how your body reacts! You might just be surprised.