Wake Up And Smell The Uncertainty

Wake Up And Smell The Uncertainty

15 Things I learned during first semester of sophomore year

18
Wake Up And Smell The Uncertainty

So, you make it through freshman year, and you think that you've gotten into the swing of college life. It can only get easier from here. Right? Wrong! We've all heard of the sophomore slump, when sophomores face an extreme lack of motivation, but a lot else happens sophomore year that differentiates it from the year that came before. You're no longer quite as young and naive as you were freshman year and you've got a firmer grip on college life, yet there's still a lot to learn. Here are 15 things that I learned my first semester of sophomore year. From me to you, "Hello from the other side."

1. You thought last semester was tough -- just wait.

2. Classes do get harder.

So does balancing social life and academics. So does going to the gym. I’m not being a pessimist here; I’m simply being a realist.

3. You will experience failure.

When your roommate exclaimed last year, “You’re going to have to fail sometime!” it was bound to happen.

Failure is part of life. But it does not define who you are.

4. Sophomore year is the year of dis-equilibrium.

During this year, life and beliefs, and academics and relationships feel uprooted. You start processing the things you learned and questioning previously held notions.

This is okay--a scary but normal part of growing up. Go ahead and accept it now, so that you don’t have to freak out later.

5. Some people who you relied on will let you down, and others will far exceed your expectations.

Ultimately, no one is perfect. Grace is a good thing to learn to extend.

6. Boys will drive you insane and leave you internally in shreds and visibly in tears.

Boys will also drive you insane but leave you internally soaring and visibly glowing. But if there is one thing I would tell you -- I can’t predict anything anymore. You will just have to learn as you go.

7. It may feel like you are drowning academically and that you just can’t get it right.

You will be humbled. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel. The semester eventually ends, and when you see those grades roll in… let’s just say, they aren’t as bad as you anticipated. Yet remember: your GPA does NOT define you.

8. Missing people is really hard.

This is a new season of your life, where friends aren’t always in the picture. People come in and out of your life, and friends become spread out across the globe. It is a risk to take to get close to someone you know will leave, and it may hurt when they do leave -- but the risk is worth taking and friendships are worth making (and so are spontaneous rhymes).

9. Be thankful.

Taking the time to be thankful and change perspective makes all the difference in how you enter and close your day. On a practical note, taking time to write down three things you are thankful for every day really does improve your attitude.

10. Structured pants are for people who don’t care.

You care. Say no to real pants, and yes to leggings and sweatpants.

11. Nothing beats your freshman hall.

Housing at college will just never compare. Although change is hard, it also brings its own joys and adventures. Embrace the change, but keep in touch with those fellow freshman hall-ers.

12. Find a way to stay in touch with your family better.

You feel more comfortable out on your own, and you don’t feel the need to call home as often, but they are still the most important people in your life and will be there for you when everything at college feels like a lie. (Your mom is removed from the drama and continues to be a safe place to rant.)

13. You will not regret any of the time you spent with people instead of with homework. So worth it.

14. Adele becomes so relevant again this year (although some would say she never lost her relevance).

After that extremely awkward and emotionally draining date? Walking up to your best friend like, “Hello from the other side.” Leaving that ridiculously difficult and ambiguous exam? “Hello from the other side.” Reminiscing about yourself on the first week of school? “Hello from the other side.” After making your way through the dining hall during the 6pm rush hour? “Hello from the other side.”

15. You will want to transfer, go to an easier school, move to an organic farm, and then drop out to start your own business.

But just wait; once again, come the last few weeks of school, you will be immeasurably glad you chose to go to this school.