Vulnerability And Armor And Words

Vulnerability And Armor And Words

On what being a writer, and a human, means.

26
Vulnerability And Armor And Words
Sketchite

It takes a lot to be vulnerable. To lay your thoughts and feelings out in the open and truly let others see your inner workings is momentous. Sometimes vulnerability is seen as something negative and something to hide. We are often taught to wear armor – to cover up our weak spots with something not so weak. We are often taught that to be strong, we must not let anyone see the spots underneath that armor – the spots that, if exposed, could be used against us. Spots that are soft and able to give in, whereas our armor is tough and able to deflect. Spots that are human.

I have learned this semester that vulnerability takes a lot. Sometimes parts of your own personal history that you thought were finished and dealt with can bring a lot of heartache and emotion bubbling to the surface. Sometimes you’ve actually gotten over parts of that same history you thought you never could.

I am taking a creative nonfiction course this semester. A course where there’s no escaping your history. A course where vulnerability might as well be listed as the prerequisite. Writing about yourself is hard, just like talking about yourself can sometimes be. That complex interview question of “tell us about yourself” is complex and dreaded for a reason. I have been very inspired by my sister and fellow students and their willingness to be vulnerable. I have in turn been vulnerable in my own writings. Sometimes I don’t always understand the writing of others and sometimes I’m sure they don’t understand my own work, but we all seem to have come to the conclusion that vulnerability is a must – and that vulnerability is unbelievably and excruciatingly difficult. Baring your heart on the page can leave you shaking with trepidation or fighting back tears in the middle of class, but it’s beautiful. Having the strength to bring up things that were heart-stopping and terrible, or downright wonderful, in your past is brave. Being willing to share any part of yourself that is not always visible under that armor is astounding.

I have realized through this class, and through writing for Odyssey, that what a writer does is made up of different vulnerabilities. It’s putting your thoughts out into the world with the hope that no one who dislikes what you have to say is vicious enough to be on the attack. It’s thinking up things to say week after week and hoping someone – anyone – will read your words and feel. It’s putting yourself out on the line in the hopes of becoming everything you’ve ever wanted to be and more.

Being a writer is about so much more than the actual writing. I feel like I am finally coming to terms with all that this means, and all that it doesn’t. Being a writer is about being vulnerable – and about being human.