Visual And Performing Arts Students Will Understand

Because it's just what we do.

35
flaunter.com

I walked into class at 7:30 a.m. on Thursday, my fourth 9:30 a.m. class of the week. One of my friends glanced over at me from across the room with a smirk, as we both knew that we hadn't slept an ounce since Tuesday night. I wish I could say this was some "crazy occasion" but absolutely not. Actually, as I am typing this, I am thinking about how I actually have to go to the Warehouse tonight to work on projects—and it's currently 10 p.m.

Something I have learned about VPA students is that we are relentless. It does not matter if we are bawling our eyes out, if our bodies begin to move at the rate of snails, or if we are in desperate need of food but realize that project deadlines are quickly approaching—we keep going. Because that's just what we do, what we're used to, and we understand that we committed to this.

The absurd class schedule, 4 1/2 hour classes, unhealthily little amounts of sleep, negligence of the gym due to zero time, and dear love for perfectionism all contribute to our unhealthy lifestyles—but as I mentioned, we signed up for it, and it's all worth it.

Being able to enter class each day knowing that we are making art is the most rewarding feeling ever. Yes, we might be presenting our projects to the class half-asleep and in a near-zombie state, but it is all so worth it.

So, as I gather my things to go to the Warehouse for the next five hours to then embark on my 4 hours of sleep, I say "let's do this" because it's all worth it.

And, I'm doing what I love.