Voting Isn't Cool, It's Necessary

Voting Isn't Cool, It's Necessary

Stop trying to make it something it's not.

40
Voting Isn't Cool, It's Necessary
Dailydot

Even if you lived in a cave you would be aware of this election season because of all the ruckus it has seemed to cause. Neither the Democratic nor the Republican party currently stands united behind a single candidate, and the media has made a circus out of everything. It certainly is one for the books. Trump is threatening to run as a third-party candidate if not granted the Republican nomination, reminding the nation of a certain Roosevelt who ran in a similar fashion many moons ago. If Bernie is elected into office, not only would he be the oldest President of the United States, but he would be the first Jewish Commander in Chief as well. History will be made by this upcoming election, and with the primaries coming to a close soon it is important that you fully comprehend your civic duty.

There's this recent trend to make voting appear cool, that it's the educated thing to do and that it's hip to care about politics. Well here is the shocking fact that all of the political campaigns don't want you to know: it isn't.

Voting isn't cool, it isn't hip, and it doesn't make you any more educated than someone else. There are people in the nation who just check Republican (or Democrat) at the voting booth or vote for someone because they like the sound of a candidate's name. You don't have to be smart to vote and you don't have to care to vote. Voting isn't cool. You have to take time out of your day, stand in a line, stand in another line, stand in a booth, and try your hardest to figure out the weird toggle-thingy. Voting isn't cool.

Voting isn't cool, it's necessary.

Voting is important. Voting is critical. Voting is your duty as an American.

Voting isn't cool in the same way that going to the doctor's office isn't cool. You do it in order to stay healthy. So we vote in order to keep our nation healthy. According to statistics, over 218 million Americans are eligible to vote, but less than 147 million are registered. That's more than 100 million citizens who could vote if they wanted to, but simply choose not to. 100 million people can make a world of difference in an election. Yet that is 100 million chances to make history wasted.

If you try to make voting cool, you're watering down it's importance. If you try to make voting cool, you're dumbing it down for the masses. Voting isn't cool, voting isn't supposed to be cool. Voting is a privilege that America takes for granted. Voting is a complex system that more people than you could ever know pour their lives into. Voting is a chore that we as Americans must do in order to keep our "house" tidy. Perhaps if we stopped trying to make voting cool and started telling people what voting truly is, then maybe they'd take it more seriously. Maybe they'd begin to care. Maybe they'd take the time out of their day to serve their country. Maybe. Though who knows, it's not like it's that cool anyway.