10 Things You'll Only Understand If You're A Sundance Volunteer

Hand warmers, anyone?

1497
Cora Dawn

Volunteering for Sundance is a unique experience. If you love movies and spending two weeks in a film festival bubble away from reality, then this is the perfect opportunity for you.

Here are 10 things I've taken away from the past two years I've volunteered for Sundance:

1. The Importance of free swag

Whether or not you're still in college, I think we can all appreciate free things. Particularly the first weekend when all the premieres are happening and all the celebrities are in town, Main Street is insane. Between the Festival Co-Op on Main Street and the merchandise sponsors such as Chase Sapphire and YouTube, you'll be stuffing your suitcase by the end of your trip.

2. Making the most of your food vouchers

Depending on how many hours you're volunteering, you get a certain amount of food vouchers that range from a monetary value to a specific food item. There are restaurants on Main Street and all over Park City where you can redeem them and if you're rushing around in between shifts or seeing movies, these can come in handy. Whether you want to spend them on a sandwich or a cup of coffee is entirely up to you.

3. Seeing your friends around Park City

Even though Sundance hired approximately 2,200 volunteers this year, Park City is still a small place. My transportation liaison friends would keep me company while waiting for the bus. I would run into people in lines for movies or during my shifts. It's difficult to feel alone during Sundance because you're constantly running into people and making new friends everywhere you go.

4. The thrill of attending movie premieres

This is fun no matter what film festival you're attending. They aren't necessarily as glamorous as Cannes, but I love that aspect of Sundance. It's a lot more laid back and catering to people of all backgrounds and ages. Being the first of millions to see a movie premiering at the largest independent film festival in the country brings a different energy to the audience. Everyone is more engaged in the film and it makes for a once-in-a-lifetime theater experience. Make sure you stay for the Q&A's!

5. Your biggest worry is seeing movies

For two weeks, your main concern is how many movies you're going to be able to fit into your schedule in a day. I only saw nine this year but I know people who saw as many as 30+ films. If seeing at least three films a day isn't your thing, there are so many events going on during the festival. From panels to parties, it's difficult to be bored at Sundance.

6. Foot/hand warmers become your best friend

This really depends on your volunteer position, but in events, you will sometimes be positioned outside for a few hours while checking people in. Especially if you're a transportation liaison, where your entire job is practically standing outside and directing people, you're going to want to invest in foot and hand warmers when it's a blizzard and below ten degrees outside.

7. Living in luxury for two weeks

if you're lucky enough to get housing, this is an aspect of Sundance that makes people such as myself want to keep coming back every year. The Institute truly values its volunteers and all the hard work they put into making the festival what it is every year. When you're put up in housing, it ranges from ski condos to full-size houses with patios and saunas. There are plenty of amenities to go around so you can live it up for your two weeks.

8. Being overworked but satisfied

While film festivals are exciting and fun, they are also stressful, both for volunteers and staff coordinators. However, after you've had several cups of coffee and are realizing how sleep deprived you are from waking up early and seeing movies, it's a good kind of exhaustion. It's a satisfying feeling to be tired from working because all you have to do is remind yourself that you're at Sundance. Things could be worse.

9. Striking up conversations with strangers

One of my favorite aspects of the festival is the mood that everyone is in. There are some people that get stressed out rushing from screening to screening. I've been there. For the most part, everyone is optimistic. It's surprisingly easy to strike up a conversation with a stranger on the bus or waiting in line to see a film. Everyone is there because of their love for cinema and it's an amazing community that Sundance is able to bring together every January.

10. You're all contributing to something together

Most importantly, all the volunteers and staff are contributing to something bigger than themselves. I think this is the most rewarding feeling of all, knowing that you are putting in work for an Institute that does appreciate you and you get to see your work pay off.

The festival may be over, but it's not too late for you to apply for next year!