Volcano Of Fire Unleashes Its Fury In Guatemala

"Look, it's raining ash and sand."

53
Instagram

It's Sunday, June 3rd and the day started off as any other Sunday would in my grandmother's house. We got up early for 8:30-morning mass, this mass though would be dedicated to the 8th anniversary of my Tia's death. After mass consisted of a light breakfast and some light chores. Otherwise not much else happened.

One of my Tia's asked if I wanted to go to Cayalá a little later in the day or if I wanted to go on Thursday. My grandmother remarked that it might rain, as she pointed outside to the sky. It's cloudy out and every few minutes the sky seems to be getting darker. Not a big surprise since it's currently winter in Guatemala and that means it's basically raining every day or so. Making note of that, we decided to just go to Cayalá on Thursday. So, I go over to my cousins' house (which is right behind that of my grandmother's house) to see what they're up to.

About an hour and a Minion movie later, my grandmother calls down the driveway asking us if we've been outside. Responding, "No Mama Berta," she comes over to the house. "Mire, está lloviendo ceniza y arena. Se erupto un volcán cerca de Antigua."—"Look, it's raining ash and sand. A volcano near Antigua erupted." Quickly running outside we stick our arms out to see. Sure enough, little black dots landed on my arm and hand. Fascinated by it, we continued to watch as it falls.

One of my cousins and I go to Instagram to see if anyone posted any pictures under the hashtag Guatemala. Several pictures were posted showing the Volcano of Fire erupting. Ash and smoke flooded the skies in every picture. Even lava could be seen being spit out by the volcano. It looked beautiful and terrifying simultaneously.

My cousin and I go to the patio in my grandmother's backyard to see ash and black sand cumulating. Taking brooms, my grandmother asks if we can sweep the patio so that in case if it does rain later in the night, the ash and sand doesn't turn to mud. We cover our nose and mouth with handkerchiefs as we sweep. We're laughing at each other as the handkerchiefs don't stay on our faces; as the mix of ash and sand misses the pail.

The country has a national warning alert on basically every channel. Three departments, Chimaltenango, Escuintla, and Sacatepéquez, have been severely affected. The death counts, the number of people burned and the number of people disappearing continue to rise over the hours. The city of Antigua has also been affected, as the Volcano of Fire sits about 10 miles west from it.

The capital, Guatemala City and different zones of the outskirts of the city have seen ash and black sand falling from the sky. Flights arriving and departing have been canceled. The main news channel is replaying the volcano erupting at one in the afternoon; they're replaying emergency personnel going in to help parents with their kids, the elderly, and the injured.

One reporter in Escuintla is videotaping the rising of the ash and begins to run when he sees that everyone he's helping is making their way to safety. He's yelling "We're in danger! We need to get out of here fast!" The video shakes as he sprints behind other victims.

Another reporter is interviewing a man from emergency personnel. The man starts off strong saying that he and his team are doing everything they can for the town they are helping. He breaks down into tears when asked if he's lost anyone yet. He says, "Yes. At least 10 people already. Some kids and a lady that was pregnant is in that count."

Over two million Guatemalans have been affected by this volcanic eruption. Homes and towns destroyed as lava streams through them and as smoked covers the skies. Kids to the elderly have been burned or hurt, have gone missing, or have lost their lives.

As it turns out, the sky wasn't darkening because it was going to rain. The sky was darkening because the volcanic ash and smoke instructed it to.