From The College Student Who 'Comes Home Too Often'

My personal preference for how to use my free time is just that: my personal preference.

1765
123rf

One of the most important things I have learned since coming to college is that all people have different value preferences and diverse perspectives that ultimately shape the choices that they pursue. Judging other people solely because they are living a different lifestyle than what you would choose to do is disrespectful.

Everyone deserves to feel comfortable pursuing what they believe is best for them. Sometimes, making those decisions can be difficult; it doesn't help when outside influences are relentlessly judging you once you finally gain the confidence to carry out a choice.

Another important thing that I have learned as a current college student is that it is perfectly OK to go home. I think that people tend to have this preconceived notion that once you move to college, you are there until the next holiday break. Society places a shameful stigma on the choice that college students make to go home on the weekends or at a time that isn't a scheduled break in the semester. I am here to say that this negative association with college students going home needs to stop.

There is nothing wrong with choosing to go home whenever you want, just like there is nothing wrong with choosing to stay at school until the end of the semester.

Whatever works for one person doesn't have to align perfectly with your preferences. If a student has the ability to go home because they have means of transportation or the travel distance to home is doable, then, by all means, they should be able to feel comfortable and confident in deciding to do so.

They should not feel judged by receiving negatively charged comments from friends, roommates, parents, and other relatives. If you are one of these outside influences, go ahead and make your position heard if you feel so compelled. Then, after you have voiced your opinion once, keep any condescending remarks to yourself.

There are a variety of valid reasons as to why a student chooses to go home rather than spend the weekend at school. Friends, family, and significant others may be located at home, so going back is a way to strengthen, fortify, and nurture those relationships.

Activities that peak your interest may be going on back home.

A part-time job could be located at home.

The family pet might be waiting for your love at home.

It might be enjoyable to take a shower in a familiar bathroom environment instead of in an industrial-type bathroom setting.

And sometimes, it's just nice to have a little break from all that is going on in the school environment.

No matter what your reason may be, you should never feel compelled to justify your choice of going home. Ever. It is nobody's business if you don't want it to be.

Going to college doesn't mean that you have to cut all ties back home. Every college experience is different; as long as you feel comfortable and confident in the ways in which you choose to spend your free time, then go for it because it's your life.