Virgen de Guadalupe

Virgen de Guadalupe

Mexico and their Special Coonection to la Virgen de Guadalupe

59
Virgen de Guadalupe

December 12th is a very important day to all members the Mexican community as we celebrate the Virgen de Guadalupe. This is a very special celebration for all the Mexican community as we celebrate of this virgin’s appearance in the mountain of el Tepeyac, locate in Mexico City. Every Year tons of Mexicans travel to Mexico City just to go visit her and thank her for all the blessings she has brought to our families throughout the entire year. We sing and dance to songs that talk about her and commemorate her. As a community we come together as a nation to share all of our personal experiences that give proof to her existence.

Although the Virgen de Guadalupe has become an international icon of faith, Mexicans are very protective of her as we consider her our mother and protector. This ideology goes back to December 12, 1531. This was the first time La Virgen de Guadalupe appeared in Mexican territory to an indigenous young man called Juan Diego, she requested that a shrine to her be built on the spot where she appeared. Juan Diego told the bishop about his encounter with the Virgen de Guadalupe. The bishop failed to believe Juan Diego as he founded absurd that an indigenous and educated young man would be the one chosen by the Virgen to see her. The bishop instead demanded a sign before he would approve construction of a church. The Virgen de Guadalupe appeared a second time to Juan Diego and ordered him to collect roses. In a second meeting with the bishop, Juan Diego opened his cloak, letting dozens of roses fall to the floor, revealing the image of the Virgen of Guadalupe imprinted on the inside of the cloak, that is the same image that is now venerated in Mexico’s main church known as “la basilica de Guadalupe.”

As you can see for many Mexicans la Virgen de Guadalupe is our protector, the one that connects our petition to the almighty. Mexicans are very devoted to her as we find her to be symbolic of a maternal presence in our lives guiding us and protecting us from all the dangers.