25 Eclectic Songs, One From Each Year I've Been Alive, That Make The Playlist Of My Life

My lifetime in music so far.

247
Taylor Sweat

Currently, I am collaborating with the other apprentices at the theatre to create a showcase to narrate our time together (it's playing in July if you're interested).

One of the biggest factors for me not only in my life but for shows, in general, is the music. The sound design. Whatever you choose to call it.

Music not only provides an excellent backdrop to whatever it is we are doing, but it also gives people an outlet to express themselves and their feelings.

I use music as an emotional and creative outlet.

To truly showcase who I am to the world, I decided to compile a list of 24 songs, denoting each year of my life. One song for each year that really has stood out to me.

Now, I'm not 24 yet, but 2018 has already given me some excellent material that I think I can go ahead and include, that is of course until summer comes along and gives me the greatest bop of the year.

Here is the playlist of my life so far...

1994: "All I Want For Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey

OK, OK.

It's a Christmas song, but honestly, I couldn't think of a better way to introduce myself to the world. I love Christmas, and I love screaming this song at the top of my lungs.

Easy peasy.

1995: “Wonderwall” by Oasis

Ah, yes.

A song for all the generations.

Anyway, here’s “Wonderwall”.

1996: “No Diggity” by Blackstreet

Okay, I’ll be honest; I didn’t know this song was this old.

However, it was an easy pick for ‘96.

1997: “MMMBop” by Hanson

If you’re still not obsessed with this song, were you ever obsessed with it in the first place?

1998: “I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing” by Aerosmith

I say I have a lot of favorite bands, but Aerosmith is my favorite band.

Hands down.

End of story.

Mic drop.

1999: "Bills, Bills, Bills" by Destiny's Child

Now it's starting to get hard to choose songs.

This was the beginning of prime boy band season.

I chose this song because no matter what year it is, we can all agree Destiny's Child didn't have to go that hard on this song, but they did for our enjoyment.

2000: "It's Gonna Be Me" by *NSYNC

"It's Gonna Be Me" is off the iconic "No Strings Attached" album, AKA, the defining album of my childhood.

This song has a special place in my heart because I celebrate April 30th (It's Gonna Be May Day) like it's an actual calendar holiday.

2001: "Where The Party At" by Jagged Edge feat. Nelly

This is one of those songs that you forget about until they play it on the radio again and you're like "oh yeah!"

Probably my favorite early 2000s R&B jam.

2002: "Work It" by Missy Elliott

It's 2018 and I'm still in complete shock and awe of the fact that our number one icon, Missy Elliott, literally flipped it and reversed it.

The lyrics "I put my thing down, flip it and reverse it" are said backward after it's said normally. ICONIC.

2003: "Miss Independent" by Kelly Clarkson

I had a karaoke machine when I was little and this is the first song that I can remember singing karaoke to.

2004: "Freek A Leek" by Petey Pablo

Yet another iconic song of the 2000s that I forgot existed until I was sitting in the back of a touring show van while the cast sang along to it.

I'm so glad that this song is back in my life.

2005: "Incomplete" by Backstreet Boys

A true bop.

If I remember correctly, they disappeared for a little bit and then came back with this.

It's still my favorite Backstreet Boys song, in case you were wondering.

2006: "Life Is A Highway" by Rascal Flatts

This version honestly makes you think Rascal Flatts originated the song because you hear it so much.

The reason this makes my list is that it's a jam that is always played on road trips to Disney.

2007: "Makes Me Wonder" by Maroon 5

AN ICONIC SONG FOR GENERATIONS.

I still remember the music video clearly.

It was on an airplane.

You're welcome.

I will fight to the grave defending the fact that this is Maroon 5's best song.

2008: "7 Things" by Miley Cyrus

Throwback to when middle school me was FREAKING OUT because I had tickets to the Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus concert.

2009: "Love, Sex, Magic" by Ciara feat. Justin Timberlake

Picture this: innocent, middle school me singing this song on the way to school, blissfully unaware of the title of the song.

A bop of its time.

2010: "Take It Off" by Ke$ha

Ah, the years when Kesha had a dollar sign as the "S" in her name.

It came with some great party bops.

I'm pretty sure every summer pool party had this playing.

2011: "Headlines" by Drake

"I guess it really is just me, myself, and all my millions" had me feeling like I related to Drake, even though I had $20 to my name.

2012: "Blow Me (One Last Kiss)" by P!nk

The funny thing about this song is that I would quote it without saying what it was and people would be (fake) offended.

High school was a weird time.

2013: "My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark" by Fall Out Boy

I was selling doughnuts in the school cafeteria when all of the sudden everyone was freaking out about the iconic return of Fall Out Boy.

Sometimes you just never forget where you are when something life-changing happens.

2014: "Rather Be" by Clean Bandit

I still love this song.

I was in the Disney College Program at the time, and it takes me back to when I would sing it during work while stocking the freezers.

It's an odd memory, I know, but 2014 was an iconic summer of music.

2015: "Stitches" by Shawn Mendes

I'm actually shocked this came out in 2015 because I still think 2015 was yesterday.

I ran up all of the flights of stairs at Raymond James Stadium to hear Shawn Mendes sing this bop during the 1989 Tour.

2016: "Cheap Thrills" by Sia

This one is kind of a homage to my boyfriend, because this is the year we started dating, and this is the year he would Snapchat this song constantly with the caption along the lines of "Love this song!"

2017: "Feels" by Calvin Harris feat. Katy Perry, Big Sean, and Pharrell Williams

The ultimate summer jam that reminds me of joyriding through the streets of Madison, New Jersey with no cares in the world because I had just graduated college and life was looking great.

2018 (so far!): "Youngblood" by 5 Seconds of Summer

The resurgence of my favorite little pop-punk band from Australia, and a truly iconic resurgence at that.

No longer are they the "She Looks So Perfect" teenybopper band, they are full out rockstars.

There you have it, folks. My lifetime in music so far. If you enjoyed this list, you can head over to Spotify right now and take a listen!