Here's To A New Vegan Lifestyle

Here's To A New Vegan Lifestyle

An in-depth and descriptive history of my health and impulsive decision to become a vegan.

162
Here's To A New Vegan Lifestyle
Unsplash

Doing anything cold turkey is tough. There's no thought into the pros and cons of the spontaneous decision that is being made. The only thought is, "Now. I need to do this now."

To me, cold turkey means doing something that is completely sudden and spur of the moment. That's exactly what I did when I decided to become a vegan last week. I woke up on Tuesday, February 22, with the same stomach pains that I usually feel. Sadly, I suffer from severe and chronic irritable bowel syndrome, also known as IBS.

When I was 18, I had my gallbladder removed because I was experiencing intense pain and underwent a cat scan. My gallbladder was filled with gallstones. I had it removed the following day because when I say it was filled with gallstones, I mean it.

I felt fine for about a year, until I started to feel intense pain in my abdomen yet again. I had to make a trip to the emergency room because the pain was crucial. I underwent a laparoscopy surgery to determine the cause for my symptoms. Note: I have had a cyst on my ovary since I began puberty and my OG-GYN and I considered the pain to be from my ovaries.

The pain was not from my reproductive organs. Instead, my appendix was extremely inflamed and infected. I also had scar tissue from my recent gallbladder surgery. Following my appendectomy, removal of the appendix, my doctor told me that my appendix was "starring" at her because it was so large and inflamed. My appendix was on the verge of bursting, which would have been fatal to my body and life.

About a year passed after the removal of my appendix and I began experiencing intense gas, pressure, bloating, heartburn, acid reflux, and a "stabbing" pain in my abdomen. I believed the pain to be because I was missing my gallbladder and appendix, but the pain that I was feeling should have been lifted with the removal of those organs, right?

I began seeing a gastroenterologist and during this year, I underwent an EGD, which showed nothing. My gastroenterologist diagnosed me with irritable bowel syndrome and I began changing my diet. I eliminated red meat from my diet and only ate chicken, turkey, and seafood, while also watching my sugar and salt intake. I also began taking Gas X, TUMS, Beano, and Nexium. Nothing helped.

One morning during the spring of 2016, I woke up to agonizing pain. The pain was so intense that I had to go to the emergency room yet again. The doctors did not see anything wrong in the tests that they performed and simply gave me antibiotics. The pain became bearable; however, I was extremely weak and exhausted from the antibiotics and the pain slowly crept back.

After I finished the antibiotics, I knew that I needed to take control of my life. I told my mom that I wanted to get as many tests and procedures as I could (while still being on her health insurance until I turn 26) and try prescription medicines to see if anything helped with my IBS. I told my gastroenterologist the same.

I tried the GERD diet and after about twelve weeks on it, I realized that it was not helping. I then tried the FODMAP diet for six weeks, which is suggested, and still saw no improvements. After these diets, I still watched my intake of foods, but was not as strict on what I ate. However, red meats were out of the question.

During this stage in my life, I also underwent another EGD, colonoscopy, cat scan, MRI, and a bowel series test. Nothing was found in the tests except for the bowel series test. During this test, it was noted that when I drank the solution given, it came right back up. My acid reflux is pretty intense and in response, I feel the discomfort from the heartburn.

I also tried multiple prescription medications, including Amitriptyline, Xifaxan, Sulcrafate, and Zofran. My doctor also gave me free samples of FDgard and IBgard. These medications did not make me feel any better.

I have tried so many medications and diets to no prevail. It is so upsetting when I cannot attend class due to my stomach pains. I have received incomplete grades and have been forced to drop courses due to not being able to attend class and not completing assignments on time. When I wake up first thing in the morning, I do not know how my stomach will be. Some days are better than others, but most of the time, my stomach is in pain from the moment that I wake up.

I never feel a sense of relief, either. No matter how much I pass gas, burp, or even have a bowel movement, I still feel pressure and pain in my stomach. It is tough to do assignments because I am not physically moving. I have realized when I am moving, I am able to shift my focus from the pain in my stomach. However, when working on an assignment, all I can seem to focus on is my stomach and heartburn. I cannot even fully enjoy a movie without focusing on the pain from my stomach.

Hanging out with my friends is no better. I find excuses to not go out because my stomach is in so much pain. While out and about, I may have to use the restroom and it takes sometimes up to thirty minutes. This is not to disclose too much information, this is to honestly explain my IBS. It's embarrassing at times. I have been late to work and events because I have been stuck in the bathroom. Something's got to give.

Most of the time, I just want to lay in bed and sleep. When I am asleep, I can forget about the pain for a moment. I used to love to sleep for rest, but now I love to sleep because I feel... nothing.

I am seeing a specialist at Vanderbilt in April and I truly hope and pray that there will be some answers to what is going on with my body.

Now, let's get to my new vegan lifestyle.

Tuesday, February 22, was the day I decided to take control on not only my life, but also my IBS, as well. I attended a make-up session for my yoga course because I had to miss my class on Monday due to intense stomach pain.

This yoga course has been able to relax my mind and body and during the end of the course, I realized something. Medications are not going to help me. Surgeries are not going to help me. I am missing two important organs, especially my gallbladder, which stores and concentrates bile. I will probably always have some sort of stomach issues.

However, a completely new lifestyle and mindset may truly aide to suppress these symptoms. A lifestyle in which I do not consume any meat products. A lifestyle in which I really focus on the nutrients I am getting and the ingredients in the food that I eat. A lifestyle where I actually cook new and exciting meals. A lifestyle where I can still go out to eat with friends, but order healthier items excluding meat.

Now, some may argue that we need protein and nutrients that come from animals, but vegetables, beans, and grains contain the protein and nutrients that we need! Some may argue about organic options, but organic meats and dairy still contain saturated fats and cholesterol, which is harmful for our bodies. I'm not even going to explain the complications that dairy and bacon do to our bodies.

I am not becoming a vegan to argue about my lifestyle choices. I am becoming a vegan to live a healthier life.

I called my mom right after my yoga course and she did not judge me, ask questions, or even sound surprised. She listened to my reasons why, supported my decision, and agreed to help me pay for the groceries that I would need to buy.

I went to Sprouts and was in there for about two hours researching food items on my phone and picking up the essentials. Eating healthy is not cheap, but I plan to go to the Farmer's Market starting next weekend to save money and give back to local farmers.

One of my friends added me to about 30 vegan groups of Facebook and the love, support, tips, information, and many, many, many recipes is so overwhelming.

There are also many health benefits to a plant-based diet, which include, but aren't limited to: lower blood sugar, lower blood pressure, lower heart disease, richer nutrients, and possible ease with digestion, (which would help with my IBS).

Eliminating animal products will also be easier for me to determine which vegetables, grains, and other foods upset my stomach, as well. This new lifestyle may or may not help with my IBS, considering I do not have a gallbladder or appendix; however, I am down to try anything at this point. I am FED up with my IBS.

I did not choose to become a vegan for moral reasons. Yes, I love animals, but this is not why I chose this lifestyle. I did this purely for my health. However, it is wonderful to know that I no longer contribute to the slaughtering of animals for my consumption. Again, I will never judge those who eat meat and dairy products. I would never. I will only educate and explain why I decided to become a vegan.

This journey will be tough because my love for chicken, seafood, and cheese has been high my entire life.

My love for my health is on a much higher pedestal. Wish me luck.