Valentine's Day

Who Cares If Valentine's Day Is A 'Fake' Holiday, That Shouldn't Stop Us From Spreading The Love

For the holiday of love...there sure is a lot of hate.

29
Anna Long

While I personally really love Valentine's day, there is so much hate out there for it..which, if you think about it, is a little ironic. Most of the hate comes from two camps: the first being the "it's a commercial holiday made in order to get money" and the second being the "forever single" camp.

Well, I have an argument for you...just because it's a "fake" holiday, or because you don't have a significant other, doesn't mean that you shouldn't take advantage of the day and let people you love know that you love them. This doesn't have to be done through the purchasing of cards and candy (if it's the commercialized aspect that you're not a fan of), and you don't have to do with with a significant other.

Celebrating Valentine's can be as simple as calling your mom up and letting her know that you appreciate all she's done for you. It can be as easy as taking your friends out for dinner or scheduling a Netflix watch party for that weekend. Any act of love, no matter who it's for or how much it costs, is a perfect way to spread the love on Valentine's day.

Let's face it, our lives get busy, and as much as we'd like to think that our loved ones know how much we love them, sometimes we forget to express it. While I try to make sure people in my life know how much I appreciate them, I know that I can sometimes forget to make it apparent, and I hate doing that.

So, when Valentine's day rolls around, it gives me an opportunity to remind them how much they mean to me. Not only do I get to flex one of my love languages, gift giving, but I also get to remind my parents, grandparents, friends, fiancé, etc. how much they mean to me. And while this should happen every day, it's easy to just keep on going without ever taking the time to ensure that someone feels appreciated.

So, all that being said, here's the bottom line: sure, Valentine's day was made up to drive up sales for companies, and it may seem like it would be a little hard to get in the spirit for if you don't have a partner to celebrate with, but in all actuality, Valentine's isn't so much about what money you spend, or if you're single or not, as much as it is about letting people you love know that you appreciate and care for them.

Valentine's is going to come around every year, anyway, so why not just try and make the most of it?