Celebrate Love This Valentine's Day, Even If You Think It's 'Basic'

Embrace the basic-ness — and your significant other.

480

For a long time, I have thought that Valentine's Day was overrated and over-celebrated, just like a lot of other holidays that Americans tend to turn into a crazy event (St. Patrick's Day, I'm looking at you).

I thought it was an excuse for girls to beg their partners for lavish bouquets and jewelry, and for non-single people to flaunt their relationship statuses on social media. It honestly always seemed kind of... superficial.

However, this year, as the idea of having an actual significant other to celebrate the day with became closer to reality (it isn't anymore, but it still made me think about this), I reanalyzed the holiday with a new perspective.

There's nothing wrong with celebrating love.

Why should some lonely single girl, whining on Facebook about how annoying Valentine's Day is, stop people from celebrating the joy of being with someone you love, or at least care for deeply? Why can't you shower someone with flowers and chocolates because you love them?

Should we only celebrate affection and adoration on this singular day out of the year?

Absolutely not. But picking another landmarked day out of the 365 options to splurge a bit more on dinner, hold hands a little tighter or let lips linger a little longer is nothing to frown upon.

There's always been negativity around enjoying things that large groups of people love — One Direction, Chipotle, Starbucks, Victoria's Secret, etc. — but that shouldn't stop you from enjoying them. Why should a holiday that celebrates love, even if it's not quite what the holiday was intended as, be any different?