I Started Using Tik Tok Dances As Exercise In Quarantine And It Actually Works

Yes, you've seen all of those dances of Addison Rae and Charli D'amelio swirling around on your "For You" page but have you ever tried to learn one?

28

Tik Tok. The new social media app that everyone has been raving about, especially during quarantine when we may find ourselves bored. As an avid Vine user in the past, when Tik Tok started to become popular I was hesitant to download as I was sure I would be as, if not more, addicted as I was to other apps of its nature. I was correct. I now spend the majority of my time on my phone, on that one app. Embarrassing, I know, but it has kept me entertained during quarantine so that's okay.

If you have the app downloaded, or have even heard of Tik Tok, you probably know the names "Addison Rae" and "Charli D'amelio", two creators who are very popular on the app. Tik Tok doesn't require a certain type of video content to be uploaded so the videos can range from comedy, skits, life hacks, DIY projects but most importantly, dance videos. Since I see multiple dance videos on my "For You" page daily, I decided to try and learn the ones that the most followed creators do. Let me tell you. I thought it would be easy, especially with my dance team background, I was wrong. I broke a sweat trying to learn a 40-second video! It got me thinking, if I'm breaking a sweat trying to make sure I have mastered all the correct moves in a dance before I record a video of myself, I could really burn some calories, right?

During quarantine, all of our gyms have been closed so I've heard the complaint of, "how are we supposed to work out now?" and here's your answer. DANCE. Bookmark at least five to six, minute-long dances that you see on your "For You" page and learn them. Some dances are harder than others, so it may take more time but follow creators, like Addison and Charli, can give you a wide range to choose from! It's a fun way to get up and moving to upbeat songs and will literally feel like you're just having fun AND you may even become Tik Tok famous! It may not be ideal, and it isn't like lifting weights for an hour at a real gym, but it will burn some calories and give you some exercise before you climb back in bed to watch your fourth movie of the day.

In addition, learning these dances has given me some fun too! I feel accomplished if I finish learning a dance and can record myself doing all the moves correctly and dancing is fun so always puts me in a better mood. I know so many people may be thinking they will never do this but at least try it once! Personally, I've been wanting to go outside and exercise but where I live it's been raining for an entire week so staying inside and dancing has kept me feeling good about myself!

Sure, I may not be a bodybuilder when people see me in the next few weeks when states start to open up their communities, but at least I can say I did do some exercise during the quarantine.