Student's are more important
College

USC: focus on your students, not how to polish your scuffed reputation

USC needs to get past their billion dollar endowment and squeaky clean beautifying techniques and actually live up to their claim of the "Trojan family."

103

As of a few weeks ago, President C.L. Max Nikias resigned from his position at USC. He responded to thousands of voices fighting for him to resign. Nikias did what was right and finally listened. However, he listened when it was too late.

Five victims in a class action suit against Doctor Tyndall have spoken out. The Today Show gave a five-minute interview about the victims and the federal investigation facing USC.

USC prides itself on their overachieving, intellectual, well-rounded students. All of the victims have gone on to do incredible things that are going to change this world. But the lead attorney said something that haunts me. Tyndall probably has thousands of victims, at least 400 put in a tip to USC, and the doctor has received complaints since med school.

Why can men like this get away with violating those who have so much trust?

Why can those who are supposed to protect us fail to do so?

The five women said that USC can't right this wrong because they did something about it once it hurt their image.

USC needs to step up, fix problems, and protect students before it's too late.

How does USC gain their student's trust again?

Personally, I don't know if they can. I agree with the women. It was a start that Dr. Nikias resigned, but the interim president is provost Michael Quick, who is fully ingrained in USC's bureaucratic red tape. USC needs to choose a president that brings a new perspective and knows how to make an effective change. I believe the next president should be a woman. USC has never had a female president.

Years ago, USC was featured as one of the colleges who would ignore sexual assault victims' claims. The Hunting Ground was released and started a five-year Title IX investigation into the practices of hundreds of colleges across the country.

Upon coming to USC, I knew of their investigation and involvement with Title IX and was excited to see the steps they were taking to keep me safe. On average 1 in 6 women are sexually assaulted and that statistic heightens to 1 in 3 once women are in college. I fully trusted USC to take care of me. Once this scandal came out, I was relieved that I never went to the health center expect to pick up a prescription. That's not something I should have thought, I should have felt safe in my own universities' health center.

I don't believe that students will feel safe for a long time.

The Trojan Family is a family that looks out and protects one another. Welp, USC continues to fail.