Upholding The Constitution Means Upholding All Of It, Not Just The Parts We Like
Politics

Do illegal aliens and undocumented immigrants have Constitutional rights? Yes.

510
Jericho Cook

The Constitution of the United States is one of the most wonderful documents written throughout human history. As a Constitutional Conservative, I take the oath of upholding the Constitution in its entirety with the utmost seriousness. However, when I remind several and my conservative colleagues of what all that entails, I'm often met with some animosity. Especially when I point out instances where the Constitution may have been breached in my own backyard of Orange County, North Carolina.

The problem is, if we can pick and choose how far the Constitution goes in one way, then it will surely come back to bite us in another way. If we can say that the 14th Amendment doesn't truly apply to non-citizens (it does), then what's to stop a future Congress from saying that the 2nd Amendment doesn't truly apply to the body of the people (it does)? The same goes in reverse for my friends on the left.

James Madison, the "Father of the Constitution," didn't pick and choose which parts of the Constitution need to be upheld. That's because he realized if we're going to uphold the Constitution then it needs to be upheld in its entirety. Not just when it fits our argument or when it's regarding things that we like and agree with.