It's Ok To Be Unsure About What You Want To Do With Your Life

It’s ok to reevaluate your life, and it’s more than ok to change your mind.

37

I started college in Fall of 2015 with inspirational quote post-it notes and a seemingly firm grasp on who I was and what I wanted to be. Now, I’m in my early twenties, and I can admit that I don’t know what I want to do with my life yet.

I’ve changed my major more times than I can count, and honestly, I’m exhausted trying to pretend I have everything figured out because I don’t and I’m not sure when I will.

I’m on an academic time-crunch, and I can do a myriad of things when it comes to my career. There are tons of fields I could go into after I graduate, and I have the option to continue my education with graduate school or even medical school.

The problem is, I have more dreams than options, so I’m constantly second-guessing myself and wondering if I’m doing the right thing for me. I constantly feel like my life is a game of Minesweeper and I’m about to make a decision that blows the whole thing up.

I love being a student. I love sitting in class and learning from people that are excited about the subjects they teach and love their jobs. I also am well aware that the longer I’m in school, the more debt I’m collecting.

I was told that college would be the greatest time of my life. In a lot of ways, it has been. Still, over the last few months, I’ve never been more unsure of what I’m doing. It’s stressful. It sucks to be confused about what direction you want to take your life in.

But ultimately, I’m going to be ok.

I just want to know who decided that students fresh out of high school should make huge decisions about their careers. I wasn’t ready. I don’t know anyone that hasn’t changed their major or their career focus at least once.

Here’s a message for all those who are currently struggling, or about to start college:

It’s ok to be unsure.

It’s ok to not know what you’re going to be today. It’s ok to not know what you’re going to be tomorrow. In ten years, if you absolutely hate where you’re at in life, it’s ok to start over.

I feel like there’s this major pressure to settle on something and be good at it for the rest of your life. But that’s not realistic, is it? The power is ultimately in your hands. In the end, the only person you owe anything to is yourself. You might disappoint a few people in your life, but that’s ok, too. It’s your life.

And most importantly, you’re not alone.

There are tons of people in the same position as you. Whether you found out you actually suck at Biology, or you’ve been a nurse for twenty years and want to be an artist, you’re not alone. It’s ok to reevaluate your life, and it’s more than ok to change your mind.

It’s up to you to define what success is in your eyes. You set your own standards. It doesn’t matter how soon you arrive to your destination, just that you enjoyed the ride and made it.

If you're stuck, just now it's alright if you're undecided.