Why 'UnReal' Is The Most Important Show Of Our Time

There's more to this Lifetime show than meets the eye.

95
The Nerdy Girl Express

A few weeks ago, I considered writing an article about the TV show, UnReal, but I wasn't 100% sure of the point I wanted to make. It wasn't until this week's episode that I realized I not only WANTED to write about this show, but I NEEDED to. I needed to get my opinion out there on the importance of this show and why I believe more people should give it a chance.

On the surface, UnReal is a humorous fake reality-show drama, but underneath it is so much more. UnReal is a societal commentary that dares to go where others refuse to. While other shows choose to pull episodes containing sensitive topics, UnReal embraces these nitty-gritty subjects and makes them the core of their television show.

From the very beginning of Season 1, UnReal has challenged head-on the idea of a "reality show" and how the individuals on these shows. The controlling show runners manipulate these individuals to tell the parts of their stories that will make the best ratings. UnReal shows to viewers that the "reality shows" that we all watch at some point or another may be based in some sort of truth, but usually also involve exploitation of the cast (and even crew). So below the surface, UnReal comments on the cut-throat environment of show business. But, this show still goes even deeper than that.

In season 1, we're introduced to a contestant, Mary, who suffers with PTSD and Bipolar disorder. Medicated for her condition, Mary has it under control and is a wonderful mother and caring person that Adam (the suitor) truly considers a top pick week after week. That is until Mary's producer decides she'd like a little credit for a ratings boost and begins to switch out Mary's pills. Flash forward several days and Mary is throwing herself off of the roof. As another producer, Rachel (we'll get to her in a minute), states "we killed somebody, didn't we?" And yes UnReal, yes you did. The whole situation is relatively appalling to viewers and it's meant to be. UnReal makes a bold statement about mental health and the lack of respect that our society has for these ill individuals. The producers are careless with Mary's medical condition and treat it non-chalantly as "no big deal," thinking that her psychotic breakdown will be good for ratings. This careless attitude results in Mary's death. In showing this character's story, UnReal forces its viewers to confront the issue of the lack of mental health awareness head-on.

UnReal doesn't stop here with mental health awareness. In fact, it continually showcases the struggles of an individual with a mental illness week after week in its main character, Rachel. We're introduced to Rachel as a producer who left the show after having a public breakdown after the end of her relationship with cameraman, Jeremy. She returns to a lot of judgment from co-workers who have all clearly labeled her as crazy. Through the first season, Rachel struggles to manage her illness without medication (much to her psychiatrist mother's dismay). Viewers witness the highs and lows that Rachel experiences as she tries to keep her head above water in the reality show world. In the most recent episodes, Rachel experiences perhaps her worse mental break yet. After being physically abused by her ex, Jeremy, Rachel swirls into an extremely manic episode. UnReal and Shiri Appleby (Rachel) do an amazing job with their portrayal of this. Her promiscuity, jitteriness, flighty thoughts, feelings of grandiosity and impulsive decision-making are dead on with symptoms of a manic episode. Viewers of the show, whether they realize it or not, are being shown a demonstration of how difficult it is to be an individual with a mental illness. Many ignorant viewers comment on Rachel's erratic behavior as a character flaw, while those more educated about mental illness realized how ground-breaking this portrayal is. Finally, an accurate portrayal of mental illness in the media!! Thank you UnReal!!

Now we get to the most groundbreaking piece that UnReal has addressed: police on black violence. In its most recent episode "Ambush," the suitor, Darius (a black football player) takes the company car off set, and the producers call the police to report the car stolen. When Darius and his cousin Romeo are pulled over by police, the situation quickly escalates to the point of violence. The cameras are, of course, running from the bushes; but when things turn violent, producer Rachel runs out to intervene. In the chaos, the police officer turns the gun on Romeo and shoots him. This episode aired on television just last week, after a string of violence between cops and blacks. Instead of pulling the episode and shying away from the issue, UnReal aired their episode and packed a huge punch. They took away all the whispers and "social correctness" and put the problem of police violence right out into the open for the world to see. While some viewers took the airing of this episode as offensive, I choose to view it as a statement on something that is very wrong with our society. While others are willing to turn away from it or cover it up, UnReal blasts the lid off of the issue, as they always do.

UnReal is a show on Lifetime and, as such, many assume it's a girly comedy, but I can't stress enough that this show is so much more than that. With the statements that it makes on current issues like police violence and ongoing issues like mental health stigma. Not to mention the statements on raciisim, homophobiia, and abuse of all types. UnReal has quickly become one of the most talked about shows on TV today. Some of the talk is good, a lot of the talk is bad. At the end of the day, some viewers, some people, are simply not ready to face head on the issues of the society that surrounds them. As for UnReal, they take these crucial issues and intertwine them with comedic television to make a show that is not only entertaining but packs a huge, ground-breaking punch.