Unpopular Opinion: Beyoncé Is Overrated

Unpopular Opinion: Beyoncé Is Overrated

Sorry, I ain't sorry but I never really understood the hype.

609
Unpopular Opinion: Beyoncé Is Overrated
Fortune Magazine

Well, the title pretty much says it all but I guess I should probably explain myself. So, I love all kinds of music, and don’t get me wrong I love singing along to a good Beyoncé top hit every once in a while. I’m also not trying to deny the fact that she is incredibly talented, so don’t go jumping down my throat. I think her voice is amazing and one of the best on the scene today.

That being said I never really understood the hype. Like yeah I like some of her songs, but I like a good Mariah Carey or Ashanti song just as much. Her voice is great, but her music is nothing special and it’s not like her lyrics are super inspiring. I love what she does for females in the industry, but it’s not like she’s the only one making strides or doing great things.

I mean, I’m probably biased because I’ve been an avid Taylor Swift fan since I was about ten years old, but I hate when people try and pit Beyoncé and Taylor against each other. They are both amazingly talented artists who are at completely different points in their lives, and just because Beyoncé decided to settle down and have a family doesn’t mean that Taylor should have to anytime soon, and it doesn’t mean that she should be judged on her lifestyle. So what if she dates a lot, a lot of girls in their twenties do, and the fact that her entire life is put under the microscope is kind of ridiculous, especially when it’s compared to another completely successful artist who I’m sure could not care less whether people like her better than Taylor Swift or not.

I’m not by any means trying to drag Beyoncé, I completely recognize her talent and she obviously wouldn’t have gotten as far as she has if people didn’t like her. I’m honestly just kind of sick of the looks I get when I say that I don’t really like her all that much. Why do lyrics like “Sorry, I ain’t sorry” or “We flawless ladies tell ‘em, I woke up like this” deserve more praise than Ariana Grande’s “A little bit dangerous, but baby, that's how I want it” or Taylor Swift’s “I knew you were trouble when you walked in, so shame on me now”? I picked cookie cutter lyrics from all of these artists most popular songs. We all know that they have better songs that never get released on the radio, and believe me I know that “Flawless” by Beyoncé is way better than that one lyric. The point is that people give her a lot of credit, and it’s not necessarily undeserved, but they put her on a higher pedestal than other female artists in the game that are killing it just as much as she is.

So, again, just to make myself clear, Beyoncé is very talented, and I do enjoy some of her music, I just wish people would realize that there is plenty of room for a plethora of female artists, and we can enjoy all of them without one being “queen.”