14 Important Things I've Learned From The University Of Michigan Greek Life

Our chapter has more differences than the number of screw ups in the second half of the UofM-OSU game

797
Rachel Mount

Breaking news, it's quite a bit different than how to blackout in a basement. When I compare myself now to the beginning of freshman year, a lot has changed for the better- and funny enough, I owe it to the institution that's under a lot of national critique.

Greek life at the University of Michigan has changed me in ways I never thought possible. In the midst of inexcusable events that have taken place on this campus as well as across the country, I figured we could all use a reminder that we are wolverines, and we are still greek life strong.

1. Diversity creates unity

I'm an oddball who has always had a kick for volunteering, but being in Greek life brings so many opportunities right to your feet. Whether it's participating in your fraternity or sororities specific cause, or going to fundraisers to support other chapters, there are truly endless events to attend. Not to mention, it's such a great experience to get everyone together for amazing causes.

2. It's never too early to be a leader

I held my first officer position my freshman year, when I never would have thought I had the skills required to help lead our chapter. I have watched previously quiet girls gain executive positions, on the fence individuals become the most devoted, and every person come together to further the chapter in such a positive way.

3. Sisterhood/ brotherhood

All of those "a-ha" moments that no one else could really understand.

4. There's SO much out there

Every campus holds unlimited clubs and experiences that you could be a part of- but finding them can be the hard part. We have girls in nearly every club across campus, which makes it so much easier to find groups that really fit you (and you can avoid getting trampled at Festifall!!)

5. House moms are the rock

(This one goes out to you Lorie.) Without this woman, whoever it may be, the house would probably be in flames. She's your "mom away from your mom" and does more for each individual girl than you may ever realize.

6. Travel young

I've been inspired by the community as a whole to travel more often. I see my girls coming from places I've never been, and I've started devoting my money to experiences rather than material. The best part? I found a bunch of crazies that'll do it with me.

7. The importance of a community

A 20,000 body of just undergrad is intimidating, but joining greek life made it seem much easier to handle. Not only have I made lifelong friends in my chapter, but I've made lifelong friends throughout nearly every chapter on campus- and I don't know what I'd do without them.

8. The real deal of happiness

The smiles and memories are endless, from sisterhoods, mixers, date parties, philanthropies, to all-nighters in the lib. Yeah, somehow these people make 12 hours in a cubicle and weeks of recruitment practice not seem so bad.

8. The meaning of letters

As weird as it sounds, letters have become an engraved part of me. When I'm off campus and see someone sporting Umich letters, I'm always inclined to say something. I've even made friends with girls who are in my sorority at different schools, just because we had that one thing in common.

9. The benefits of mentorship

Like I mentioned before, we have girls in nearly every major/ minor/ club out there- and luckily enough, we have a mentorship program that lets us connect with older girls and alumni that help us make the most of our future (thx biggie).

10. Letters go past graduation

The number of alumni we have dedicated to running our chapter was one of the most shocking things about joining Greek life. We really wouldn't be able to function without these alumni's support, ideas and encouragement.

11. How to pig out

I'm talking no shame when you manage to eat a jumbo-sized feta bread/ 14 servings of sushi by yourself.

12. Self respect

This may be a surprise to anyone outside of Greek life, but the amount of rules each chapter has stretches from here to the moon and back. Each chapter holds its members accountable for self-preservation and holds highly to the ideals that everyone puts their best face forward. It makes you really think twice before making any iffy decisions.

13. Time management

Being in a chapter is a huge commitment, and my schedule shows it. Between classes, clubs, and chapter meetings and social events, I started planning out my days in advance- and my GPA has loved me because of it.

14. Respecting authority

We have a lot of advisors to communicate with while obeying their rules in the daily functioning of our chapter, and although it can be tedious, it's an essential life skill.