5 Unexpected Life Lessons Freshman Year Of College Taught Me

Because no one tells you what it's actually like.

14

As August came to an end, I, along with the rest of the freshman class, packed up my belongings into boxes and moved into my new home, leaving life as I knew it behind. Moving to college was probably one of the most impactful and intimidating transitions I have ever experienced, and I could not say that I knew what to expect. Being dropped off with a crowd of people in an unfamiliar place that would soon become home is a peculiar feeling.

Although I realized that this would be quite the change, I did not expect to learn as much as I did in only the first couple of weeks, and even though there is so much more to learn and experiences to have, I compiled a list of some lessons I have learned so far.

1. Independence is rewarding, but it comes with new responsibilities.

Living on my own in college made me realized how dependent I was on others before. I relied on my parents to make my appointments and meals, my group of friends to keep me company, and even my teachers to constantly remind me of upcoming quizzes and assignments. I now know that everything is up to me whether this means to make sure I do my laundry, take out the trash and other chores, eat relatively healthy meals throughout the day, and do my homework and assignments. Initially, these countless responsibilities seemed like a burden, but I began to realize that It's a blessing in a sense. It's almost like a rite of passage, in the way that I have made it this far in life where I am finally independent.

2. Organizational tools are a lifesaver. 

I would say that I have always been pretty much of an organized person, but let me tell you, over the last couple of weeks, I had to become a whole new level of organized. With new classes starting up in locations and times that are unfamiliar, clubs and extracurriculars, meetings and appointments with advisors, and balancing this with homework, colloquiums, trying to stay active, and meeting new people and keeping a social life, I would be lost without multiple tools of organization because just keeping a simple planner won't work alone any longer. I now use a planner to keep track of assignments, my study schedule and other academic-related things, a notepad for the week for social-related activities and chores that are waiting to be completed, and a list on my phone for a general daily to-do list. To some, this may seem like too much, but so far this method has kept me productive and has worked very well overall.

3. It’s okay to be alone at times. 

I somehow managed to convince myself that I must have at least one person to go with anywhere. I would always have a friend come with me to join a club, or to sit with in classes, and I would even have my mom or sister come with me to go grocery shopping. Moving to a new city and knowing completely no one, I could not do this any longer. I was forced to move away from my comfort zone and reach out and talk to new people. Although I have made friends, I realized that it's okay to walk to class alone or eat breakfast by myself. Friends are often busy and have different schedules so I may not have someone to go with everywhere, which I have become content with. This isn't high school anymore and people aren't as judgmental as they were in high school.

4. Balance is difficult to maintain when you’re always busy. 

With a million things to do, I have learned so far that I need to start prioritizing. This is something I still need to work on because I often put schoolwork over everything else. Although school is the whole reason I am in college and should be prioritized, and studying is essential to starting off strong, I sometimes forget that I am only young once and that finding time for relaxation and fun is just as important.

5. Acclimation to an unfamiliar place will improve your navigational skills. 

The first day of classes you could find me wandering around like a lost puppy, looking like the typical freshman with my lanyard and my phone out with directions. By walking an average of three miles per day over the same paths, and crossing the entire campus more times than I could say, I have not only figured out how to get from one point to another without my GPS, but by constantly being lost and having to get used to new places, I noticed my improved abilities with directions.