Unexpected House Repairs You Should Know About

It's best to be prepared.

3

As a first-time homeowner, the excitement of your newly purchased home leaves you blind to the dangers in the future. While your house is a symbol of safety and comfort, it's also susceptible to damage.

Damage that you didn't plan for. That said, unexpected house repairs can leave your wallet drained or your home in ruin if you can't foot the bill.

To make sure you're completely prepared for the future and your new house can stay looking the same, here are some unexpected house repairs you need to know about.

Take a look!

Roofing

Your roof is what takes hit after hit either it's rain, hail, even lightning. It's the thing keeping your head and your family's head nice and dry.

If there were to be damages, your roof becomes susceptible to leakage, holes, and tears. To keep you and your family safe, check your roof regularly.

If you notice anything off within the shingles (especially after a bad storm), contact a roofing company immediately. They'll come out to access the damage and what'll need to be done along with the cost.

HVAC

The piece of equipment that keeps your home cool in the summer and warm in the summer needs regular maintenance in order to stay operational. Once every six months is when you should have a professional come out to conduct a checklist of what needs to be done.

After that, you can take care of the maintenance yourself. Some of the things that'll need to be done is changing the filter, cleaning coils, and lubricating moving parts.

If you decide to ignore the regular maintenance that should be done on your HVAC unit, repairs could run as high as four digits.

Driveway

If your home has an asphalt driveway, the harsh elements can wreak havoc on it. That said, constant damage can cause it to crumble or develop cracks.

If left untreated to the point of breakage, you're looking at a hefty bill. To prevent that, clean it every so often and apply a sealer to keep it looking new.

Wooden Deck

Decks are great for hosting summer barbecues and enjoying those cool nights. However, if you don't take care of it properly, deck repairs can cost upward of $10,000.

Rather than dread the day you get that high of a bill, it needs regular upkeep. Making sure debris such as twigs are pulled out in between the floorboards isn't enough. After that, you'll need to scrub it with a solution that's made specifically for decks then apply a sealant.

The sealant is the most important step as this is what'll keep moisture out of the boards. This will prevent rot and bugs.

Foundation

The foundation of your house needs to be in tip-top shape in order to prevent structural damage. But most importantly, it should prevent water from pooling beneath your home.

Water is the enemy of houses. A slight leak can turn into a major one which will become an expensive repair.

To make sure your foundation is good, pay close attention after it rains. If there's water where the house and ground meet, there's a problem. You should immediately get this issue corrected.