Underrated Women: Rowan Blanchard

Underrated Women: Rowan Blanchard

An Activist We All Need

206
Underrated Women: Rowan Blanchard
google.com

I decided to start a series of underrated women that use their power for good, have ethereal beauty in ways not defined, and serve as inspiration and motivation to all people around them. I believe that as a woman, I should be uplifting and supporting other women because they deserve all the praise and more.

So first up in this series: Rowan Blanchard.

I first discovered Rowan Blanchard when she was cast as the lead on the Disney Channel series, Girl Meets World . It was a spin-off from the hit 90's show Boy Meets World (arguably the best show there is), so I knew I had to tune in and watch Girl Meets World.

After three seasons, the show was unfortunately cancelled. I had an inkling that Rowan Blanchard would do great things in the future, so I decided to keep up with her via social media. Not soon later, I was proven correct. Rowan is the activist we all need. At the age of sixteen, she has already done so much I could not even accomplish in twenty-three years. Rowan is a feminist that consistently strives to not be defined by her gender stereotypes. She works to overcome those stereotypes and help everyone reach their true potential. While speaking at the United Nations Women's Conference about gender inequality in youth, Rowan states:

Let us no longer be imprisoned and defined by gender stereotypes or any stereotypes. Let us be defined by our individual actions, kindness, and decency to others. At the end of day, regardless of who you are, each and every individual deserves the opportunity to reach his or her full potential. Equality of the sexes is not merely an idea, but a birth-given right.

Her courage and social awareness on these issues is both admirable and impeccable.

I've also learned so much from her essay on the importance of intersectional feminism:
“White feminism” forgets all about intersectional feminism. The way a black woman experiences sexism and inequality is different from the way a white woman experiences sexism and inequality. Likewise with trans-women and Hispanic women. While white women are making 78 cents to the dollar, Native American women are making 65 cents, black women are making 64 cents, and Hispanic women are making 54 cents. Kimberlé Crenshaw said it perfectly in 1989 when she said “The view that women experience oppression in varying configurations and in varying degrees of intensity. Cultural patterns of oppression are not only interrelated, but are bound together and influenced by the intersectional systems of society. Examples of this include race, gender, class, ability, and ethnicity.” This includes trans women especially, who have been robbed of their souls when they are told they are not “real women” It is SO important to protect trans women and trans youth as they are incredibly at risk when it comes to sexual assault and hate crimes. People also seem to forget that black women are victims of police violence too- from Sandra Bland to India Clarke- a trans woman who was beaten to death in Florida just a month ago.

To only acknowledge feminism from a one sided view when the literal DEFINITION is the equality of the sexes is not feminism at all. We need to be talking about this more. Discussion leads to change.

I need to mention her style because she brings out a certain aesthetic that has inspired me to branch out and try different styles. Fashion is truly a form of art. She uses her appearance as a form of activism as well. In her recent Instagram post sporting a new hair cut, Rowan expresses that she uses her "beauty as terror" and is "very interested in cutting [her] hair and fixing [her] appearance during the 'revolution' as a survival way... of exercising whatever autonomy [our] own bodies we have left."

So hats off to you, Rowan Blanchard; thank you for being my role model.