5 Underrated Musicals That Should Get More Credit

Exceptional musicals that were really pushed to the back of the stage.

39
Photo by Denys Nevozhai on Unsplash

Everyone knows about Hamilton and Phantom of the Opera, but there are hundreds of other musicals that never got a chance to make it to the main stage. Some of these you may have never heard of, but you should give them all a shot! Here are 5 of the most underrated musicals!

5. Lizzie - The Musical

Everyone knows the story of Lizzie Borden, but this musical may change your mind on what you think may have actually happened. This four person, all female cast will blow your mind with their vocals and their acting! It also takes a twist on the traditional "musical theatre" genre, as it is more of a rock musical. It takes you through the entire story of Lizzie Borden, the murder, and the trial. It also includes some romance between Lizzie and Alice, her neighbor.

4. We Will Rock You

Fans of Queen, this one is for you. This musical takes you through the life of Galileo and Scaramouche as they try to bring rock music and the old ways back into the world after it is taken over by Killer Queen, who has made the world into "iPlanet." Of course, it does turn into a love story between Scaramouche and Galileo, with duets like "You're My Best Friend," "Under Pressure," "Who Wants To Live Forever," and "Hammer To Fall." This musical will not disappoint and it ends with one of the most famous songs, "Bohemian Rhapsody."

3. The Hunchback of Notre Dame

It's not just the musical that is underrated, even the Disney movie doesn't get the credit it deserves! Just like the movie, the musical follows Quasimodo, the Hunchback of the Notre Dame Cathedral, who is being "raised" by Frollo, his uncle who dreads to take care of him but has no other option. The musical has an absolutely amazing soundtrack, with a full choir and an outstanding cast. The musical may has songs from the movie, yet the songs that are written for the musical alone add so much more to the plot and the character development. This musical is great for Disney lovers and musical theatre lovers together!

2. Wonderland

The story of Alice In Wonderland, but just a tad different. In this story, Alice is a mom and wanders into Wonderland after seeing the White Rabbit, she follows him and meets all the same characters, except, the Mad Hatter is a girl who despises the Queen and Alice. She then takes Alice's daughter and Alice has to find a way to save not only her daughter, but Wonderland too.

1. Dogfight

Taking place in 1967, the musical takes place in San Francisco, with Eddie, the main character and a Marine who has just returned from the most controversial war, the Vietnam War. He thinks back of his first time in the city, and the setting changes to 1963. The rest of the musical describes those couples of days before Eddie goes to war, and the main topic of the show is when Eddie goes to a diner and meets Rose, a shy waitress who is in the corner playing a guitar. He decides to use Rose for the Dogfight, an awful game where each Marine puts in $50, and whoever brings the ugliest girl to the party, gets the money.