10 Underrated Disney Movies

10 Underrated Disney Movies

Some movies are undeservedly forgotten, but none are undeservedly remembered.

76
10 Underrated Disney Movies
Disney
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are."

Now we all know so much about the Disney Princess and Princes, but what about all the other Disney movies that are classics? We may watch them once or twice, but forget about them because they don't include a princess. The movies on this list may not star a Princess or a dashing Prince, but they include some other strong and loving characters that are vital members of the Disney family.

10. Lady and the Tramp (1955)

"The Lady and the Tramp," released in 1955, is an animated film by Walt Disney. Unfortunately, this classic has been forgotten. This movie features Lady, a cocker spaniel who lives with a high-end upper class family, and Tramp, a stray mutt who lives a "collar-free" lifestyle. After many romantic rendezvous, Lady falls in love with Tramp, telling the classic story of the upper-class girl falling for the unlikely boy. With this adorable love story and these captivating characters, this movie deserves a spot of the shelf in every household.

9. Tarzan (1999)

"Tarzan," is an animated adventure film released by Walt Disney Pictures in 1999. This feature tells the story of Tarzan, a man who was raised by mountain gorillas in the rainforests of Africa. He grows up learning the ways of the gorilla, befriending many of the creatures in the rainforest. Enter Jane Porter, the daughter of a professor who is in Africa to study the grouping habits of the gorillas. Jane meets Tarzan and is instantly intrigued by him. This charismatic couple, and the story of Tarzan learning his past are just a couple reasons why this movie does not deserve to be forgotten.

8. 101 Dalmatians (1961)

"101 Dalmatians" was released by Walt Disney in 1961. This classic Disney tale, though popular in the early 2000's after a life-action remake, has quickly been replaced by newer animated films and their characters. This tale does not deserve to be forgotten, featuring Pongo and Perdita, two dalmatians who, along with their owners, quickly fall for each other. Fast-forward and Perdita is giving birth to fifteen healthy little dalmatian pups. Enter the film's antagonist, Cruella De Vil. The beloved characters of this film deserve a place in the hearts of everyone, and do not deserve to be forgotten.

7. The Mighty Ducks (1992)

Released in 1992 by Walt Disney Pictures, "The Mighty Ducks" is the first (and only) non-animated film that made the list. This movie stars Emilio Esteves as attorney Gordon Bombay who is sentenced to community service, which places him in the role of coach of a group of underprivileged and spunky boys who make up the local peewee ice hockey team. Bombay begins to teach the fundamentals to these kids, and he convinces his boss to donate to their team so that the boys can have real equipment to use, as well as a real place to play. This film is a classic underdog-to-stars story that deserves to be told for the ages.

6. The Emperor's New Groove (2000)

"The Emperor's New Groove" was released by Walt Disney Feature Animation in the year 2000. This movie features young Kuzco, the teenage ruler of the Incan Empire. Kuzco, although the protagonist of the film, does not quickly capture the hearts of the audience, as he is narcissistic and rude to everyone he meets, even going as far as throwing an elderly man out of a palace window for "throwing off his groove." He may start off by making audiences wonder why he's the main character in the film, but he will win over any and all who watch this movie, making it a "classic" new-age Disney movie that does not deserve to be forgotten.

5. The AristoCats (1970)

Released in 1970, "The AristoCats" is an animated film produced by Walt Disney Pictures. It features mother cat Duchess and her three little kittens: Marie, Berlioz, and Toulouse. Their proud owner, Madame Bonfamille, is a rich retired opera star, who leaves her fortune to her cats in her will. Upset by Madame's choices, her butler Edgar sets out to "eliminate" his problem. He leaves the cats in the middle of nowhere, and they are left to their own devices to try to return to their estate. With the help of Thomas O'Malley, the "alley cat" who quickly forms a bond with Duchess and her kittens, they race to find their way home. With the adventure of these quirky cats, this movie is a classic that deserves a spot in the hearts of every Disney fan.

4. Hercules (1997)

"Hercules" was released by Walt Disney Feature Animation in 1997. It tells the story of Hercules, the son of Greek god Zeus and his wife Hera. Zeus's brother Hades, the ruler of the underworld, wants power and tries to get rid of Hercules, the only one who would stand in his way. This movie tells the story of Hercules growing up mortal, learning of his past and training to stand against Hades. With a little love story thrown in, this action-adventure animated Disney movie is a great tale that deserves to be told.

3. James and the Giant Peach (1996)

In 1996, Walt Disney Pictures released a film the was both live action and animated. This movie, "James and the Giant Peace," features James who, just like with any good Disney movie, became an orphan within minutes of the movie's start. He goes to live with his evil, yet ignorant, aunts appropriately named Spiker & Sponge. He meets a man who gives him a bag with magical "alligator tongues," which he instructs James to not lose. James responds to this by tripping on his way home, spilling the contents of the bag. They cause a peach to grow, James crawls inside to meet a group of human-sized, anthropomorphic bugs who take James to the ocean with the peach. They go on an adventure, taking James away from his terrible life. This adventurous tale, along with its quirky characters, bring to life a story that should never be forgotten.

2. Oliver & Company (1988)

Based on the Dickens' novel "Oliver Twist," came the 1988 Disney movie "Oliver & Company." This film stars a spunky little orange kitten named Oliver, who meets a Jack Russell Terrier named Dodger on the streets of New York City. He takes the kitten to his owners and his pack of dogs. This movie tells the story of a lost little kitten who finds a family in an unexpected way. These adorable characters and intriguing plot line make this one of the best Disney films.

1. Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)

In 2001, arguably one of the most intriguing Disney movies would be released by the company. Unfortunately, the movie would also be forgotten. This science fiction, animated Disney film stars Milo Thatch, a cartographer for the Smithsonian who is hired to decipher an ancient journal. What did he discover? He found the way to the ancient city of Atlantis. If you want to watch an animated tale of mystery and adventure, then this Disney feature is for you. It's one you won't soon forget!