3 Underrated African-American Artists You Should Be Listening To

Celebrate Black History Month by listening to these amazing artists.

159
Facebook

In honor of Black History Month, I think it's important to highlight great African-American artistry. Here are three of my favorites from the last three years.

1. Leon Bridges

I discovered Leon by chance on YouTube, and I immediately resonated with his style. Reminiscent of the '60s era soul music of Motown and Stax Records, Leon's style is retro while having a fresh spin.

The lyricism of his original composition "River" is stunning.

"Dip me in your smooth water
I go in
As a man with many crimes
Come up for air
As my sins flow down the Jordan"

I connect with "River" on a spiritual level; it's retrospective and therapeutic. Many of the other tracks on his debut album called "Coming Home" are more upbeat, and they're hard not to bob your ahead along to.

I saw him in concert in 2016 and he did not disappoint. He danced almost non-stop for two hours, and by the end of the night, the crowd participation was electric.

Must-hear tracks:

The exquisite "River"

The feel-good love song "Smooth Sailin'"

The groovy and upbeat "Twistin' & Groovin'"

2. Oddisee

Amir Mohamed, also known as Oddisee, is a hip-hop artist that I have been listening to for a couple of years now. What I love about Oddisee, and his band Good Compny, is that his lyrics are meaningful and the beats are memorable.

The first album I heard by Oddisee was "The Good Fight" released in the summer of 2015. The lyrics to his song "That's Love" are relatable to everyone. Backed with a jazzy, 1970s style instrumentation, it's catchy and the lyrics are universal.

His 2017 release called "The Iceberg" is a socially-conscious album. I think it's about how we see ourselves and how others see us.

"We just want to matter more
Tryna be the matador in the pit of bull
Tryna gather our status to the masses
Looking at the glass like that's pitiful"

This quote is from "Things" and it is about how minorities have been historically, and are currently, being discriminated against.

It's far too easy to become unattached to the marginalized in society. In this politically-charged time, it's important to actively listen to other opinions and experiences, because we are all in this together.

I saw Oddisee and Good Compny in concert last summer, and they were incredible. Unlike a lot of modern hip-hop artists, they play live instruments! It's exponentially more exciting when there's keyboards, guitars, and drums in play.

I met him after his show in Raleigh, NC and he was the just the nicest guy!

Must-hear tracks:

The universal "That's Love"

The socially-conscious "Things"

The intricate "Contradiction's Maze"

3. Gary Clark Jr.

The blues has been popular since the early 20th century, with almost mythical musicians like the late Robert Johnson singing "Hellhound on My Trail." Artists like Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughan fused it with rock and revitalized the genre in the '70s and '80s. Gary Clark Jr. has carried the torch into the 2010s and beyond.

Gary Clark Jr. is the artist I listen to most often on the way to and from class. My favorite genre is rock, and Gary is one of the most talented rockers in the past decade. He can absolutely shred an electric guitar solo, and many of his live recordings, like "When My Train Pulls In," are epic jam sessions.

Gary also appreciates music history, and it has inspired many of his original and cover songs. One of my favorite covers by Gary is off his 2017 live album, and it's called "Honest I Do." This song was originally written by Jimmy Reed in the '50s, and Gary's interpretation is brilliant.

I saw Gary in concert in 2015 at the North Carolina Museum of Art. I was in the front row at the small venue, and it was absolutely thrilling. Some of the best guitar work I've ever seen in-person.

Must-hear tracks:

The soaring falsetto on "Please Come Home"

The scorching solo on "When My Train Pulls In"

Brilliant tribute to a blues legend on "Honest I Do"

I hope you check out the artists I have listed above, and please let me know what you think by messaging me on Twitter. (@TylerNotTiler)