4 Reasons Undergrounds Coffeehaus Is A True Gift To The World
Nature Animals

Places of Interest: Undergrounds Coffeehaus

Welcome to your living room away from home!

881
DCR Derby

Nestled in the southeast corner of Federal Highway (US1) and Oakland Park Boulevard in Fort Lauderdale, just behind the Times Square Plaza, there exists a double-gallery strip of shops, reminiscent of New Orleans' French Quarter style. Among the shops in this so-called Plaza 3000, a visitor will find a red door, likely propped wide-open so as to welcome the curious passerby to walk right on in.

Once you get through this door, you will notice a stairway covered in carpeting you may remember fondly from games of laser tag. Climb the stairs, and you will find another curious door asking you to please "respect the Haus." Turn the knob, walk in, take a quick left and there you will find yourself swiftly invited by some of the gentlest souls in the south of Florida. Oh yeah, there are dinosaurs in the ceiling!

Welcome to one of the best coffee shops in Florida, the ironically named Undergrounds Coffeehaus.

Founder Aileen Liptak works behind the counter nearly every day, concocting the beverages of your wildest dreams. One of the most popular drinks, the Grasshopper Latte, is a coffee-based mixture with a little milk, creme de cacao (chocolate cream) and creme de menthe (mint cream) — and yes, it's as delicious as it is green!

If you have no idea what you want, just ask Aileen. She will go through a series of questions, including, "Would you like something hot or cold?" and"What flavors do you usually enjoy?" Miss Aileen will take in all your answers and help you make a great choice. She guarantees that you'll love it — and for me, she has not been wrong yet.

Miss Aileen and her fellow coffee/tea gurus also live by the phrase, "Cash is king," which you will find to be quite true at Undergrounds. Although they do accept cards, the minimum order — if you happen to only have plastic available — will be $10.

You can, however, purchase a gift certificate, which you may re-use and re-fill as you please. There are even gift certificate specials. For example, if you pay $20 dollars, you get a $25 certificate. That's a few extra cups or snacks, so, you can't really go wrong there, can you?

But what else is so appealing about Undergrounds Coffeehaus?

The Coffee & The Tea

The list of coffee-based drinks is extensive, more so than you will find at Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts or any other corporate coffee joint. Do you want Caffè Americano? Done. Iced Coffee? No problem. Peanut Butter Cup Cappuccino? You got it. Macchiato? Mocha? Just a regular old cup o' joe? Easy peasy, lemon squeezy! You name it, you can get it at Undergrounds Coffeehaus.

If you think that they offer a great deal of coffee, you should see their tea list! Their arsenal consists of over 50 different types of tea. Now the question to ask is whether you want it sweet, tart, bitter or spicy. Do you enjoy fruity flavors, like orange, strawberry, pumpkin, lemon or berries? They've got you covered! How about floral notes, such as honeysuckle, rose, lavender, nettleo r jasmine? They have that and more.

If you're partial to other flavors, like spearmint, peppermint, sarsaparilla (root beer), marshmallow root or even wild lettuce, feel free to join the party! In recent years, Yerba Mate has seen a major rise in public popularity, so, of course, Undergrounds had to make it available as well.

Whenever you're feeling a bit under the weather, let them know. They'll get the "Flu Tea" all ready for you. Maybe you could use a bit of cheering up or you'd like to keep your spirits up. They've got "Happy Tea" as well, which certainly lives up to its name. Do you need decaf to help you wind down after a long day? You're in luck!

Whatever you are in need of, Undergrounds Coffeehaus has your back.

The Snacks

The Haus is more than just a simple coffee shop in Fort Lauderdale. They, like most other coffee shops, offer a cache of snacks for your indulgence. From chips to brownies to Twinkies and more, Undergrounds has just what you need!

Perhaps the best snack, though, is the Haus specialty: tater tots. Yes, you read that correctly. They can make you a basket of tater tots any way you can imagine — plain, salt and pepper, Old Bay, cheesy, fully loaded, garam masala curry, garlic, sour cream and onion, and about 30 more flavors are available to you on any given day.

How about trying something new on your next visit?

The Atmosphere

What is a coffee shop without character? The first place that comes to mind is Dunkin Donuts, where you walk in, order your coffee, pay for it and then jet. You have to give them credit. They are a multi-national java and donut company worth nearly 10-billion smackaroos! Can't knock 'em if they're your preference, but consider expanding your horizons.

Though good old DD may keep America running, they don't quite keep the good people staying for long. The atmosphere is too similar to a fast-food restaurant. Undergrounds, on the other hand, is quite the opposite.

When you enter Undergrounds Coffeehaus, it will feel as if you have entered into a cozy living room — you won't know what to think of it. Sometimes, new people who venture through the red door and into the quaint, burgundy-painted, warm-lit home library, look around with raised brows and buggy eyes as if to ask, "Did I just cross over into... The Twilight Zone!?" Certainly, Rod Serling would, himself, have felt quite at home. The Haus may feel like a separate dimension, but rest assured, you are still right here on Earth!

Within its confines, the main sitting room of Undergrounds features four comfortable sofas (one a Victorian antique), a few handfuls of lounge chairs (some also Victorian), a large dining table, which can accommodate up to eight people and, of course, a couple coffee tables — because why would a coffee shop not have coffee tables?

Perhaps the most desirable spot is that in "the corner." From the entrance, this nook is not easily seen, but if you waltz on in and take a look around, you'll find it. The corner nook features a built-in, dark-stained wood seat, almost like pews in a traditional church, with its own matching irregular-hexagonal table, which was made so to fit the trapezoidal shape of the seat by which it is surrounded. Sit here, and you may feel like Don Vito Corleone, better known as "The Godfather." Yeah, sit here, and you will feel like all that and a bag of chips!

The shop is filled with shelves upon shelves of books. Whatever is not covered in books is covered in artwork. There's also the movie screen, on which there is almost always a movie playing (and sometimes, video games). All of the books and works of art are for sale, but they're also for casual perusal. So, feel free to grab one and enjoy a little reading as you sip your beverage.

Venture toward the balcony door and out onto the patio, where the banister will remind you of those lining Bourbon Street in New Orleans, where there are chairs and tables galore — even an old park bench.

Anywhere you roam within Undergrounds Coffeehaus, you are sure to find relaxation and relative peace. You very well might hear some folks discussing classic films like "Star Wars" or "Pulp Fiction," anime or manga like "Cowboy Bebop" or "Dragon Ball," social controversies, great video games, books, sports, memes or the latest in viral internet happenings!

The Happenings

Speaking of "happenings," there is always something going on at Undergrounds Coffeehaus! From swing dancing lessons to weekly yoga and meditation sessions to musical events, stand-up comedy or movie nights, there's something for everyone. Now and then, they like to host rummage sales and arts fairs, welcoming people from all over.

Over the years, Undergrounds has hosted punk bands, metal bands, jam bands, rock 'n' roll acts, jazz quartets, ska groups, hip-hop artists and rappers, spoken word and slam poets, and performing artists of all kinds. Come on out and show some love for the local music scene — who knows, maybe one day, they'll sell out RevolutionLIVE here in Fort Lauderdale, or the world famous Whisky a Go Go in Hollywood, CA!

If there's an event you would like to see or perhaps you would like to hold at the Haus, let them know, maybe they'll be able to set it up!

If you happen to be catching (or playing) a concert or attending another event just across Federal Highway at The Culture Room, stroll on over before or afterward, pump yourself up, let yourself unwind — whatever you must do to enjoy your time.

Lads and lassies, Undergrounds Coffeehaus is a gift to the world, a true gem tucked away in Plaza 3000 in Fort Lauderdale, FL. You have got to get there! Feel free to check out Undergrounds Coffeehaus on Facebook or their own website, undergroundscoffeehaus.com.