50 Underrated 80s Gems That Will Make You Question Your Music Choices Now

The 1980s was truly a wild era for music. However, if the song isn't "Don't Stop Believing", "Africa", or "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", lots of people today wouldn't recognize it, proving that they haven't fully experienced the eclectic nature of music from this time. Some of these songs I chose did quite well back in their heyday but have seemed to disappear nowadays, or at least aren't the first song to come to mind when mentioning the artist's name. Enjoy and hopefully find some new tunes to jam out to.

Maneater- Hall and Oates- 1982

Daryl Hall & John Oates' official music video for 'Maneater'. Click to listen to Daryl Hall & John Oates on Spotify: http://smarturl.it/DHJOSpotify?IQid=D......

SME (on behalf of RedCrow Records); Reservoir Media (Publishing), BMG Rights Management, LatinAutor - PeerMusic, Warner Chappell, BMI - Broadcast Music Inc., Abramus Digital, CMRRA, ARESA, LatinAutor, PEDL, and 14 Music Rights Societies

Hall & Oates is THE throwback group to bop to. Every tune slaps.

All Fired Up- Pat Benatar- 1988

Music video by Pat Benatar performing All Fired Up. #PatBenatar #AllFiredUp #Vevo

UMG (on behalf of 100 Hits); ARESA, ASCAP, LatinAutor, CMRRA, BMG Rights Management, Abramus Digital, LatinAutor - PeerMusic, and 3 Music Rights Societies

Want me to go lift up a car, because after this song I sure am pumped enough to do just that.

Automatic- The Pointer Sisters- 1983

The Pointer Sisters - Automatic

SME; UNIAO BRASILEIRA DE EDITORAS DE MUSICA - UBEM, LatinAutor, LatinAutor - UMPG, CMRRA, ASCAP, BMI - Broadcast Music Inc., UMPI, UMPG Publishing, and 8 Music Rights Societies

This song is relatable AF when you have a huge crush yet still feel like you're going to end up #foreveralone.

Never Tear Us Apart- INXS- 1987

INXS

inxsofficial, WMG, UMG (on behalf of Petrol Electric Pty Ltd); UNIAO BRASILEIRA DE EDITORAS DE MUSICA - UBEM, LatinAutor - Warner Chappell, LatinAutor - UMPG, PEDL, UMPI, LatinAutor, Warner Chappell, UMPG Publishing, ASCAP, CMRRA, and 23 Music Rights Societies

If you like this song, check out the cover of it by Bishop Briggs too.

Only In My Dreams- Debbie Gibson- 1987

Provided to YouTube by Rhino Atlantic Only in My Dreams · Debbie Gibson Out Of The Blue ℗ 1987 Atlantic Recording Corp. Featured Vocalist: Debbie Gibson Comp...

A true bop. There's nothing else I have to say.

Borderline- Madonna- 1984

You're watching the official music video for "Borderline" from Madonna's eponymous debut album released on Sire Records in 1983. Buy/Stream the self-titled a...

I heard this song after watching Pretty in Pink for the first time and haven't stopped playing it since.

I Want a New Drug- Huey Lewis and the News- 1983

Official video of Huey Lewis and The News's I Want A New Drug from the album Sports. Buy It Here: http://smarturl.it/3xyuju Like Huey Lewis and The News on F...

UMG (on behalf of EMI); ASCAP, LatinAutor, CMRRA, Warner Chappell, PEDL, UNIAO BRASILEIRA DE EDITORAS DE MUSICA - UBEM, LatinAutor - Warner Chappell, and 9 Music Rights Societies

Don't do drugs, kiddos. However, this song is like a drug, and I encourage you to listen.

Get on Your Feet- Gloria Estefan- 1989

Provided to YouTube by Sony Music Entertainment Get On Your Feet · Gloria Estefan Greatest Hits ℗ 1989 SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT INC. Released on: 1992-11-03 ...

No shame in dancing super hard to this tune.

Modern Love- David Bowie- 1983

Provided to YouTube by Parlophone UK Modern Love (2018 Remaster) · David Bowie Loving the Alien (1983 - 1988) ℗ 1983, 2018 Jones/Tintoretto Entertainment Com...

Haha, I got this from an episode of Riverdale.

The Heat is On- Glenn Frey- 1983

Music video by Glenn Frey performing The Heat Is On. © 1984 UMG Recordings, Inc. http://vevo.ly/8mtPYC

This song is smoking hot... no pun intended.

That's All- Genesis- 1983

Genesis - That's All was released on October 3rd 1983 as the second single from the album Genesis. CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE GENESIS OFFICIAL YOUTUBE CH...

Laika Network, WMG (on behalf of Gelring Limited); UNIAO BRASILEIRA DE EDITORAS DE MUSICA - UBEM, UMPI, ASCAP, Concord Music Publishing, LatinAutor, Reel Muzik Werks (music publishing), EMI Music Publishing, LatinAutor - PeerMusic, and 16 Music Rights Societies

Hi, this is my jam. That's all.

Lay All Your Love on Me- ABBA- 1980

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music Group Lay All Your Love On Me · ABBA Thank You For The Music ℗ 1980 Polar Music International AB

If I ever hear a single soul smack-talk Mamma Mia or any of the music from it, I will throw down.

Oh Sherrie- Steve Perry- 1984

Provided to YouTube by Sony Music Entertainment Oh Sherrie · Steve Perry / 史帝夫派瑞 Greatest Hits ℗ 1984 Columbia Records, a division of Sony Music Entertainmen...

I wonder what Sherrie is up to now.

I Want to Break Free- Queen- 1984

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music Group I Want To Break Free · Queen Greatest Hits 1 & 2 ℗ 1984 Hollywood Records, Inc.

There's a really funny Vine that goes along with this.

Little Lies- Fleetwood Mac- 1987

Provided to YouTube by Warner Records Little Lies · Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits ℗ 1987 Warner Records Inc. Keyboards, Synthesizer, Vocals: Christine McVie En...

Anything by Fleetwood Mac slaps, and that ain't no little lie.

I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues- Elton John- 1983

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music Group I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues · Elton John To Be Continued... ℗ 1983 UMG Recordings, Inc. Released o...

Just finished Rocketman- Elton John forever and always, am I right?

You May Be Right- Billy Joel- 1980

Music video by Billy Joel performing You May Be Right. (C) 1980 SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT #BillyJoel #YouMayBeRight #Vevo

No one does it like the Pianoman.

Mony Mony- Billy Idol- 1981

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music Group Mony Mony · Billy Idol Don't Stop EP ℗ 1981 Capitol Records

Get your neck ready for a lot of headbanging.

A Hazy Shade of Winter- The Bangles- 1987

“Hazy Shade of Winter" by The Bangles Listen to The Bangles: https://TheBangles.lnk.to/listenYD" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">https://TheBangles.lnk.to/listenYD" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">https://TheBangles.lnk.to/listenYD Subscribe to The Bangles on YouTube: https://TheBangles.lnk.t...

SME (on behalf of Absolute Music); UNIAO BRASILEIRA DE EDITORAS DE MUSICA - UBEM, UMPI, UMPG Publishing, CMRRA, LatinAutor - UMPG, BMI - Broadcast Music Inc., LatinAutor, and 10 Music Rights Societies

You'd be surprised how many of these songs I originally heard from baton routines over the past decade.

Your Love- The Outfield- 1985

Provided to YouTube by Sony Music Entertainment Your Love · The Outfield Big Innings: The Best Of The Outfield ℗ 1985 Columbia Records, a division of Sony Music Entertainment

Thank you Mississippi State baseball player Jake Mangum for introducing lots of people to this tune.

Every Little Thing She Does is Magic- The Police- 1981

Listen to more from The Police: https://ThePolice.lnk.to/Essentials Discover more about this classic song and the Ghost In The Machine album here: http://www...

Music video by The Police performing Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic. (C) 1981 A&M Records Ltd.

Did a dance to this song in a routine once... ahhh, good times. Just kidding, I was in the back row and was probably as awkward as Bambi on ice.

St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion)- John Parr- 1985

Provided to YouTube by Atlantic Records St. Elmos Fire (Man in Motion) · John Parr St. Elmo's Fire - Music From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack ℗ 1985 Atlantic Recording Corporation for the United States and WEA International Inc. for the world outside of the United States.

Have you ever seen the commercial with rock, paper, and scissors with this song? No, then here you go.

One Moment in Time- Whitney Houston- 1988

SME (on behalf of Arista); Abramus Digital, Warner Chappell, LatinAutor, ARESA, LatinAutor - Warner Chappell, AMRA, Sony ATV Publishing, PEDL, ASCAP, Kobalt Music Publishing, CMRRA, UNIAO BRASILEIRA DE EDITORAS DE MUSICA - UBEM, Reservoir Media (Publishing), LatinAutor - SonyATV, UMPI, and 11 Music Rights Societies

This song makes me feel like an Olympic gymnast; if only I could do more than a cartwheel.

Hold Me Now- Thompson Twins- 1984

Thompson Twins' official music video for 'Hold Me Now'. Click to listen to Thompson Twins on Spotify: http://smarturl.it/TTwinsSpotify?IQid=Holdmenow.d As fe...

Music video by Thompson Twins performing Hold Me Now. © 1983 SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT (UK) Limited

You never know where you are going to find a good beat. I first heard the remix of this song in a GAP commercial, and the rest was history.

Magic- The Cars- 1984

Provided to YouTube by Elektra Records Magic · The Cars Heartbeat City ℗ 1984 Elektra/Asylum Records Bass Guitar: Benjamin Orr Additional Vocals: Benjamin Or...

You know what's magic? This song...Thank you; I'll be here all week.

Always Something There to Remind Me- Naked Eyes- 1983

Provided to YouTube by Awal Digital Ltd Always Something There to Remind Me · Naked Eyes · Naked Eyes Burning Bridges ℗ Chrysalis Records Limited Released on...

For some reason I never thought this song was from the 80s but would you look at that!

Kyrie- Mr. Mister- 1985

Provided to YouTube by Sony Music Entertainment Kyrie · Mr. Mister Broken Wings ℗ 1985 RCA Records, a division of Sony Music Entertainment Composer, Lyricist...

Kyrie Eleison means "Lord, have mercy" and boy, did I listen to this song a lot before going to college.

Harden My Heart- Quarterflash- 1981

Music video by Quarterflash performing Harden My Heart. (C) 1981 Geffen Records #Quarterflash #HardenMyHeart #Vevo

The person juggling flaming sticks in the music video truly has my dream job, and anyone who personally knows me knows this.

Listen to Your Heart- Roxette- 1988

Official Music Video for Roxette - Listen To Your Heart (1988) BMI - Broadcast Music Inc., UNIAO BRASILEIRA DE EDITORAS DE MUSICA - UBEM, UMPG Publishing, LatinAutor, LatinAutor - UMPG, and 10 Music Rights Societies

I've known this song a long time and don't remember why, but I can bet this was played at baton competitions.

Don't Forget Me- Glass Tiger- 1986

Music video by Glass Tiger performing Don't Forget Me (When I'm Gone) (U.S. Version) (Video). UMG (on behalf of Universal Music Canada); ASCAP, Global Music Rights LLC, SOLAR Music Rights Management, CMRRA, LatinAutor - UMPG, LatinAutor, UNIAO BRASILEIRA DE EDITORAS DE MUSICA - UBEM, UMPI, EMI Music Publishing, UMPG Publishing, and 4 Music Rights Societies

This "Don't Forget Me" probably got overshadowed by another "Don't You Forget About Me" from this era.

Up Where We Belong- Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes- 1982

Provided to YouTube by Parlophone UK Up Where We Belong · Joe Cocker · Jennifer Warnes The Best Of Joe Cocker (Domestic Only) ℗ 1982 The Island Def Jam Music...

Fun fact: this song was featured in the movie "An Officer and a Gentleman", starring Richard Gere, who I'm distantly related to. So if you are reading this, Richard, I'm a college student in need of cash.

Runaway- Bon Jovi- 1984

Music video by Bon Jovi performing Runaway. (C) 1984 The Island Def Jam Music Group

His hair is big, because it's full of secrets...JK but look at those gorgeous locks.

You're the Inspiration- Chicago- 1984

Provided to YouTube by Rhino You're the Inspiration · Chicago The Very Best of Chicago: Only the Beginning ℗ 1984 Warner Bros. Records Inc. Guitar, Keyboards...

Just waiting for the day when someone serenades me with this song.

Rio- Duran Duran- 1982

The official Duran Duran video for "Rio" from 1982's RIO. Directed by Russell Mulcahy. Stream Duran Duran's greatest hits here ▶ https://duran.io/2GMNTzX Sub...

WMG (on behalf of 100 Hits); UNIAO BRASILEIRA DE EDITORAS DE MUSICA - UBEM, EMI Music Publishing, ASCAP, LatinAutor - SonyATV, LatinAutor, SOLAR Music Rights Management, and 8 Music Rights Societies

Not to be confused with any of the songs from the movie Rio about singing birds.

The Closer I Get- Alabama- 1983

Alabama's official music video for 'The Closer You Get'. Click to listen to Alabama on Spotify: http://smarturl.it/AlaSpotify?IQid=AlaTCYG As featured on Gre...

SME (on behalf of RCA Records); LatinAutor - PeerMusic, UMPG Publishing, CMRRA, BMI - Broadcast Music Inc., LatinAutor - Warner Chappell, Warner Chappell, LatinAutor - UMPG, UNIAO BRASILEIRA DE EDITORAS DE MUSICA - UBEM, LatinAutor, UMPI, and 10 Music Rights Societies

Let me reiterate how #foreveralone I feel with this tune.

Jack and Diane- John Mellencamp- 1982

Music video by John Mellencamp performing Jack & Diane. (C) 1982 John Mellencamp under exclusive license to the Island Def Jam Music Group #JohnMellencamp #J...

The vibes this song gives off has you wanting to live in a house with a picket fence and 2.5 kids.

Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye - Bananarama- 1983

Bananarama - Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye (OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO) [Merlin] London Music Stream Ltd (on behalf of London Music Stream Ltd.); CMRRA, PEDL, BMI - Broadcast Music Inc., LatinAutor - Warner Chappell, LatinAutor, Warner Chappell, LatinAutor - SonyATV, UNIAO BRASILEIRA DE EDITORAS DE MUSICA - UBEM, EMI Music Publishing, UMPG Publishing, and 6 Music Rights Societies

At one point in our lives, we have all said "Na na na na hey hey hey goodbye", and now you know where the heck that catchy tune came from.

(Keep Feeling) Fascination- The Human League- 1983

UMG (on behalf of Bulletproof Entertainment/Fontana North); UMPI, BMG Rights Management, ARESA, UNIAO BRASILEIRA DE EDITORAS DE MUSICA - UBEM, EMI Music Publishing, UMPG Publishing, BMI - Broadcast Music Inc., Abramus Digital, CMRRA, ASCAP, LatinAutor - UMPG, LatinAutor - SonyATV, LatinAutor, and 13 Music Rights Societies

I bopped through the aisles of an At Home to this song.

I Melt with You- Modern English- 1982

[Merlin] Beggars, The Orchard Music, WMG (on behalf of Blixa Sounds); LatinAutor - UMPG, UMPI, LatinAutor, Audiam (Publishing), UMPG Publishing, Sony ATV Publishing, UNIAO BRASILEIRA DE EDITORAS DE MUSICA - UBEM, BMI - Broadcast Music Inc., CMRRA, and 12 Music Rights Societies

Anyone remember the Disney Channel Original Movie Sky High? If so, you are already familiar with this tune. However that version is a cover by Bowling for Soup, but the original is pretty good too.

Run to You- Bryan Adams- 1984

Get the 30th anniversary edition of 'Reckless' now! Super Deluxe (2CD+DVD+Blu-Ray Pure Audio) - http://smarturl.it/BryAdmsSprDlx Deluxe (2CD edition) - http:...

Music video by Bryan Adams performing Run To You. (C) 1984 A&M Records

I feel like this could be taken as either romantic or stalker-y, but what do I know?

Forever Young- Rod Stewart- 1988

Provided to YouTube by Rhino/Warner Records Forever Young · Rod Stewart Out of Order ℗ 1988 Warner Records Inc. Assistant Engineer: Allen Abrahamson Solo Gui...

This gives off vibes of running through a field of flowers on a sunny summer day, hand in hand with your dream person...Is that just me??

Don't Dream It's Over- Crowded House- 1986

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music Group Don't Dream It's Over · Crowded House Crowded House ℗ A Capitol Records Release; ℗ 1986 Capitol Records, LLC Rel...

If you dig this sick beat, check out the cover from Lauren Daigle.

The Glamorous Life- Sheila E- 1984

Provided to YouTube by Rhino/Warner Records The Glamorous Life · Sheila E The Glamorous Life ℗ 1984 Warner Records Inc. Cello: David Coleman Saxophone: Larry...

It may be very long, but this song will have you bouncing around the room.

Don't Get me Wrong- The Pretenders- 1986

Provided to YouTube by Rhino/Warner Records Don't Get Me Wrong (2007 Remaster) · Pretenders Get Close (Expanded & Remastered) ℗ 2007 Warner Music UK Ltd. Mix...

Don't get me wrong, this song is my jam.

Dancing in the Dark- Bruce Springsteen- 1984

Provided to YouTube by Sony Music Entertainment Dancing In the Dark · Bruce Springsteen Born In The U.S.A. ℗ 1984 Bruce Springsteen Released on: 1984-06-04 A...

Shoutout to all the OGs out there named Bruce. Springsteen, the shark from "Finding Nemo", my father.

Baby I'm a Star- Prince- 1984

Provided to YouTube by Rhino/Warner Records Baby I'm a Star · Prince Purple Rain ℗ 1984 NPG Records, Inc. under exclusive license to Warner Records Inc. Mast...

I've been singing this song since I was like 9 years old, and I bet you can guess why... because I'm a bright, shining star...JK good, old baton routines.

Head Over Heels- Tears for Fears

Check out the official music video for "Head Over Heels" by Tears For Fears Listen to more from Tears For Fears: https://TearsForFears.lnk.to/Essentials Vote...

Music video by Tears For Fears performing Head Over Heels. (C) 1985 PolyGram Video International

I find this song even more wholesome since the music video takes place in a library.

The Safety Dance- Men Without Hats- 1982

Provided to YouTube by Unidisc Music Inc. The Safety Dance · Men Without Hats Rhythm of Youth ℗ 1981 Bulldog Brothers Released on: 1981-01-01 Main Artist: Me...

I often wonder what made someone want to write this song, but I'm glad whoever it was did.

The Tide is High- Blondie- 1980

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music Group The Tide Is High · Blondie Best Of Blondie ℗ A Capitol Records Release; ℗ 1980 Capitol Records, LLC

Thank you to the Lizzie McGuire movie soundtrack for introducing 5 year old me to this jam.

Little Rock- Reba- 1986

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music Group Little Rock · Reba McEntire Whoever's In New England ℗ 1986 MCA Nashville Released on: 1986-01-01 Producer: Reba...

I have a conspiracy theory that the chorus of this song and the chorus of "Waterloo" by ABBA is the same, but honestly who cares when they are both fire songs.