university of kansas traditions

You Can Hate All You Want, But I Haven't Done These 9 Signature KU Activities

Call me unconventional!

101

Ah, the University of Kansas! A beautiful college set on top of Mount Oread in lovely Lawrence, Kansas, and my educational home for the past four years.

Like every university, KU has its own unique culture. Students from across the world gather and participate in traditions that have been around for decades. These traditions can be built up to seem like they'll make or break your KU experience.

Well, I'm here to tell you that's a bunch of straight malarkey. I've been on this campus for a hot moment, and there are a myriad of traditions I haven't engaged in whatsoever, with no long-term negative effects on my mental well-being or educational experience.

Yeah, I've been to a game in Allen Fieldhouse and taken several pictures with the Union Jay. However, there are many other traditions that I haven't participated in that several would find utterly shocking. Here are nine such experiences.

1. Gone to the Bar-muda Triangle

Comprised of The Jayhawk Cafe, The Wheel, and Bullwinkles Bar, the Bar-muda Triangle is a place where KU students enter on Fridays, become utterly lost, and emerge several hours later, hair disheveled and missing one shoe. While Lawrence features many college bars, these three are the closest to campus and by far the most iconic.

I'm honestly not sad to say I haven't experienced the mystical blackhole that is this phenomenon. I don't like strange people enough to want to literally swim through a sweaty crowd of them. Combine that with awkwardly sticky floors and bad music blaring at hypersonic levels, and I'll just take the hard pass and stay home.

2. Tailgated at a home football game

KU football is a time where fans cross their fingers and, if all else fails, wait patiently for basketball season. Even so, what is fall for if not for a little bit of football and a whole lot of tailgating before the game?

Oddly enough, though, they won't let you tailgate if you're in the marching band. Go figure.

3. Gone to Clinton LakeĀ 

Clinton Lake is one of those weekend getaways that has it all. Fishing, trail activities, a body of water, various wildlife, if it's an outdoor activity, then you can mostly likely do it here. Especially during the warmer months, it's a perfect place to relax and pretend you don't have homework and other adult responsibilities.

As much as I love the outdoors, this is another place I just haven't gone. I can't give you a good reason. Sue me.

4. Yelled back at a crazy Wescoe preacher

Ah, the Wescoe preachers. What would a day at KU be without these crazy Zionists yelling at students that their yoga pants earn them a one-way ticket to the bad place? Just as common as these pastoral people are the students who yell right back, defending their innocence or to display their happily lesbian relationship by also making out.

As fun as it is to be a part of an angry mob such as this, I've never seen a need to add my voice. I'm just here to get an education, not to argue with some fart, young or old, about my spiritual health, thankyouverymuch.

5. Had a random Daisy Hill resident make me a fake

I wish I could describe this more, but I honestly can't. Someone told me this was a well-established fact, but I had no idea. I really need to get out more. . .

Regardless, I'm now over 21, so there's no need for a fake ID for me. Even when I would've "needed" one, I figured that as long as fake ID's were expensive and none of my friends had one, I wouldn't need one. I was very correct.

6. Gone to the sunflower fields for cute fall pics

The sunflower fields that border Lawrence are notorious during the fall months for cute graduation pics, couple pics, and general profile pics. Who wouldn't swipe right on a smiling individual in a field of happily-colored flowers?

Well, revoke my white-girl status, because I've never made the trek out there. By the time I have a free weekend, they've all died. Darn fall.

7. Participated in the Big Event

For those who do not know, the Big Event is a yearly community service event where thousands of KU students, staff, and faculty members all go out into the Lawrence community and better it through various volunteer projects.

Now, I love serving my community as much as the next good-hearted individual. I volunteer on my own time through other avenues. However, I've honestly had plans the past three opportunities I could've participated in the Big Event. This past year, I ran a 5k, scout's honor.

8. Struggled through O-Chem

Attending a college that has a strong pre-med program, I know many students who've had to take countless science classes. The one that is referred to with the most disdain, though, is most definitely organic chemistry, which is required for most science majors who are also on the pre-med track.

While I do have two majors and a minor, none of them have anything to do with science, so no struggles here!

Well, no struggles with science, at least.

9. Had a crunchy chicken cheddar wrap in the past week

The crunchy chicken cheddar wrap is a University of Kansas food, plain and simple. If you go here and haven't had one yet, I highly suggest taking a field trip down to the Underground and checking it out. Comprised of crunchy chicken, cheddar cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, ranch, and a delicious tortilla wrap, it seems like something that one could easily make at home, but why in the world would you?

So, I've definitely enjoyed one or two of these magical creations in my time here, I'll admit it. However, there is a literal cult following here of people who will have one or more a week. Hey, they're good and all, but I like a little more variety in my diet.

There you have it, folks. I could say I'll become more KU-cultured in the future, but I can't make any promises! I will say I'll spend the rest of my time here like I have the past four years: laughing with friends, trudging through my classes, and rocking my KU calves.