How To Navigate The Unknown, Ft. The One And Only Lord Our God

Uncertainty is a beast of a monster. How will you tame it?

602

I have insecurities, issues, problems, and bad hair days. But then again, don't we all?

This past week, doubts about my future hit me especially hard. They crept in and twisted their way into my every thought. Why this…? When will I…? Who will I…? How should I…?

I sat down, determined to put an end to these pestering ambiguities.

I compiled a list of each of my uncertainties, and then another list of my certainties in life.

After reflecting on my lists, I realized that I need to be more grateful.

Why? Because...

• I was never uncertain about finding food to eat for my next meal.
  • I never doubted any of my friendships.
  • There was no hesitation in recognizing that I always have access to clean water.
  • I don't have any monetary issues.
  • I was never uncertain of the Lord's love for me.
  • I never doubted that my family loves me.

None of the items on my "uncertainties" list were overly concerning.

In fact, when I wrote my "certainties" list, I found myself pointing to God in nearly each of the things I was sure of in my life.

For example:

• Although I don't know what I should minor in, I know that God's plan will reveal itself.
  • I don't know whom I will marry yet, but I know the Lord is the one whom I should be chasing after; His plans are far better than anything I could imagine.
  • I'm not quite sure what I'll be doing next summer, but I know God has a great plan in store for me.
  • Even if the student I'm tutoring decides to misbehave, God is giving me experience in handling tough situations to better prepare me for my future.

It all points back to Him. Coincidence? Not in the slightest. Even when I have my doubts, I know I can rely on my faith and my relationship with God to remain constant.

In future times of stress when it seems as if nothing in my future is planned, I'll do this exercise again. I'll write out my uncertainties, and then list how God is in control of each scary curve just around the corner.