My Unanswered Questions About the Harry Potter Series

7 Unanswered Questions I Have About The 'Harry Potter' Series

Even as an HP fanatic, there are some things I still don't get.

625
Tayler Klinkbeil

Just a warning to everyone out there, I'm about to unpack some of the unanswered questions I have after scouring the nooks and crannies of the "Harry Potter" series. That means some serious SPOILERS coming up, so if you're still figuring out about You-Know-Who, you should probably stop here and preserve your reader's innocence.

If you're still with me, buckle up, because you're about to encounter the musings and rants of a hardcore HP fan. Now, to qualify my dedication, I'm clearly not the biggest super fan out there. I have not spent $13,000 on merchandise, but I did wait until midnight at Barnes & Noble for the release of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," and I have written a full-length research paper on the moral ambiguity of Severus Snape. Living in Orlando also gives me the unique advantage of having (almost) unlimited access to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, which is, if you'll allow me to say, spectacular.

Despite being able to ride the Hogwarts Express and get a Butter Beer basically whenever I want, that real-life experience into J.K. Rowling's world doesn't stop the questions that come spiraling through my head every time I find a new strand of storyline, character backstory, or briefly mentioned the location. Pottermore is a great resource for people like me that are constantly astounded by all the different elements that exist in this magical universe, and I've perused the family trees and informational articles more than I care to admit. If you share my never-ending quest for Harry Potter knowledge, maybe you've asked some of these same questions, or perhaps you have the answers that have long eluded me. With that, here's what I still don't get in the "Harry Potter" series.

1. What’s the deal with the "Taboo" curse?

ThePottermovies

In the final installment, either the book or movie version, Ron describes to Harry how the Death Eaters were using the "taboo" curse, allowing Voldemort to know the speaker's location should they say his name. The film suggests that this is how the Snatchers were able to find witches and wizards to nab, and why the trio on their search for the Horcruxes must finally tame their defiance against using "You-Know-Who."

This part I understand, after a bit of Googling as to where Taboo came from (not specified). My question arises from a part in the first part of the final movies, when Harry, Ron, and Hermione seek out Xenophilius Lovegood. This sets the scene for the famous story of the Deathly Hallows, read by Hermione out of "The Tales of Beedle the Bard."

Towards the end of their time in the Lovegood residence, Xenophilius admits that he intends to turn them into the Death Eaters in exchange for his daughter, Luna, who was kidnapped. Harry asks Xenophilius, "Who took her sir?" To me, that sounds like Harry is asking Xenophilius to say Voldemort's name out loud, which he does, and therefore leads me to believe Harry expected the Taboo curse to activate.

If he knew about the enchantment, which he did, why would Harry goad Xenophilius to draw the Death Eaters in? The action from that point in the movie just brings worse things for Harry, Ron, and Hermione, who now have to escape captivity as well as find the remaining Horcruxes. If the Taboo curse was already in place, why would Harry activate it?

2. Why did Remus Lupin and Nymphadora Tonks have to die?

Fanpop

If you're familiar with some of the post-series J.K. Rowling reveals, you know that every year on the anniversary of the Battle of Hogwarts, she apologizes for the death of one of the characters killed therein. In 2007, Rowling revealed that in order to keep Arthur Weasley alive, she traded him for Remus Lupin (as well as his wife, and the mother of his son, Nymphadora Tonks). She claims that Arthur was the best father figure in the series, and she only decided for Lupin to die whilst writing "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" (which is Book #5 of 7).

What I would like to know is why she decided a trade even had to occur, seeing as she'd hooked thousands of people onto these characters at this point in the series, and knew she'd be devastating someone by killing off either one. I think we all can agree that if there's anything the HP series lacks, it's stable family structures and resolution for abandonment issues. Personally, I'm offended that the death of either Arthur Weasley or Remus Lupin was on the table (both could have survived their run-ins with death just fine) and neither Ron or Teddy would be left fatherless (or orphaned. Thanks for the throwback, I didn't need a reminder that baby Harry was orphaned too).

The part of this decision that I still don't get is why that choice had to happen. Or even, why did Tonks die too? That's just messed up J.K. Ro. I'm still in tears over it.

3. What ever happened to the Gringotts dragon?

Tayler Klinkbeil

In "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," the trio notoriously breaks into the securest bank ever to exist, Gringotts. There's an attraction in The Wizarding World which takes you through the hazardous adventure. Both in the ride and the story, the dragon kept in the underbelly of the bank serves as the vehicle for Harry, Ron, and Hermione to evade their pursuers in a high flying getaway.

Perhaps I missed it, but the animal lover in me wonders whatever happened to the abused dragon. He drops the trio into a body of water, and then he's never mentioned again. Maybe it's just me, but I want to know if the former security guard ever found a friendly pack of dragons, or Ron's brother Charlie in Romania, to find a happy ending. Or is he just another tragic loss written off in the pursuit of destroying Voldemort's Horcruxes?

4. Who is the Trolley Witch on the Hogwarts Express?

Tayler Klinkbeil

If you've read (or had the awesome opportunity to see) "The Cursed Child," you might be a little more familiar with the Trolley Witch than others. I found it incredibly interesting that she played such a large role in the play, seeing as she was present for all of the HP series but never did much besides sell candy.

"The Cursed Child" allows us to see that she was largely responsible for seeing that Hogwarts students completed their journey from King's Cross to Hogsmeade, and vice versa, at the beginning and end of term. Albus Potter and Scorpius Malfoy attempt to exit the Hogwarts express, which was not permitted by the Trolley Witch. Call me crazy, but her ninja bouncer skills make me wonder if she has some super cool backstory we're missing out on.

In the HP world, how does one become an exclusive Hogwarts bouncer/candy retailer? She's also been there since the beginning of time so, where did the Trolley Witch start? Will she retire? Or will she run the rails of the Hogwarts express selling Chocolate Frogs and Licorice Wands until the end of her prolonged wizard life?

5. Why did Voldemort's baby body end up in the heavenly King's Cross?

Tayler Klinkbeil

Forgive my emphasis on the Deathly Hallows, but even after having read (and reread) the book and having watched the films several times, it still leaves me flabbergasted. After Harry goes into the Forbidden Forest to meet Voldemort's posse, he does the whole disappearing act and dies on us. He meets the late Albus Dumbledore in a clean King's Cross bathed in white light, and while walking he sees a bloodied and mutilated Voldemort curled up under a bench.

Harry asks Dumbledore why he's there, and Dumbledore explains that a piece of Voldemort died when Harry did. The eighth and final Horcrux was sent to the heavenly version of King's Cross, where Harry is then given the ultimatum to stay or go, to live or die. I get that this alternate little universe that exists in Harry's head is meant to be a fork in the road or Limbo, but why is it Dumbledore and Voldemort would share the space? Is it more of a halfway point than heaven? Or am I reading into this too much? Let me know.

6. Why did Hedwig have to die?

Tayler Klinkbeil

Maybe you'll sense a trend in my questions, but I take issues with deaths that I think are unnecessary or don't advance the plot. That being said, what I may consider a gratuitous character death, you may consider a crucial plot point, so bear with me. Hedwig, the beloved and trustworthy owl that saw Harry off in the very beginning in "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," dies in the last book/film. I'm sorry, but she was the tie between the hopeful beginning and heart-breaking end of Harry's story, and while I'm glad he still has Hagrid and his best friends as consistencies, there's something about the bond between a boy and his owl, you know?

7. How did Leta Lestrange get back to Europe to attend Hogwarts?

Hypable

"Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald" Bonus: This one kept me up at night after having seen the latest installment of the Fantastic Beasts franchise. In it, Leta Lestrange tells the harrowing story of her infant half-brother Corvus Lestrange, and her journey with him to America. At the time of the journey, Leta appears to be ten or eleven-years-old, which is (as we all know) Hogwarts first-year age. The film shows multiple flashbacks where Leta is at Hogwarts with Newt Scamander, the protagonist and their budding romance (presumably now long dead, seeing as she was engaged to Theseus, Newt's brother, at the time of the film).

How did Leta get back from America so soon after the journey there to attend Hogwarts, and why would she leave in the first place? She references that her father sent her with Corvus, but how did she come back to Europe in time to become a Hogwarts student? And why leave in the first place?

I can only hope the remaining films in the "Fantastic Beasts" series will answer these questions because if I crack this clamshell up any further, who knows what repressed curiosities will tumble out.

Now that I've shared with you some of the burning concerns I have with the "Harry Potter" series several years after its completion, maybe you can help me to understand what I'm missing, or answer some of my questions. If you have your own questions that you feel haven't been addressed either, I'll raise my Butter Beer in salute to you. Hopefully, we'll all find solace in J.K. Rowling's tweets and interviews to learn what we missed out on. Too bad we can't just "Accio" information. All of this would be a whole lot easier with magic.