A Beginner's Guide To The Rocky Horror Picture Show

I give you the ultimate late-night, double-feature picture show guide.

1473
Pride in Plymouth

With the airing of Fox Network's "Rocky Horror Picture Show" reboot, the 1970's cult classic has once again become something noticed by the public. However, before this major network jumped on the bandwagon, countless groups have made a tradition of performing alongside the movie during the Halloween season. Personally, I believe everyone needs to see this movie performed in this way at least once in their lives, so for all of you "virgins" out there, here is your definitive guide to a live performance of Rocky Horror.

1. Being called a "virgin" has nothing to do with your sexual history.

That's right! If this is your first time experiencing Rocky Horror in the way that it honestly should be experienced, then you are most definitely a virgin. Wear your lipstick X on your cheek like a badge of honor, not of shame! Everyone was a virgin at some point, and you'll be in good company.

2. Participate in the pre-show Virgin Games.

Don't be afraid, nobody will hurt you (even if they may seem super intimidating). Unless you're truly uncomfortable, participating in the Virgin Games is a fun, highly provocative way to get into the spirit of Rocky Horror. Besides, nothing creates a community more than trying to pop a balloon between you and your partner's crotch – yes, that is a real thing. And yes, it's hilarious.

3. Don't forget to purchase your survival kit!

Oftentimes these are sold alongside your ticket, and it will be necessary to fully participate in the experience. Don't know what to do with all of this seemingly meaningless junk? Fear not, everyone around you will help you figure out when to cover your head with your newspaper and throw your toast.

4. Follow the cues of those around you.

Even if you're familiar with the film, seeing a production of Rocky Horror alongside the film allows for much more audience participation than you would expect. People will yell names at Janet and add their own commentary to what the narrator has to say, so if you can, listen closely and join in when you can. It really makes the experience so much more fun.

5. Get up and do the Time Warp!

For those who've never done the Time Warp before, don't worry. It's a fairly simple dance, honestly. Plus, you don't want to be the only audience member sitting in their seat as everyone else is "driven insane" from the pelvic thrusts. You'll have the film, the performers, and the rest of the audience to follow, so get up and lose yourself in this classic dance. Then we'll do it again.

6. Join in the underwear run.

Midway through the performance, all those willing to participate in the underwear run will be encouraged to meet in the back of the theater. If you're feeling up to it, nothing makes you feel the spirit of Rocky Horror than running through an auditorium in your underwear with a huge group while the rest crowd cheers you on. If you're not up to that just yet, there's always next year!

7. Let loose and have a blast!

I know it can seem intimidating when you're surrounded by men and women alike strutting around in costumes that rival the film's but remember, this is all in the spirit of fun! Don't take anything too seriously and you'll probably find yourself shivering with antici.....