The Ultimate Holiday Movie List

The Ultimate Holiday Movie List

10 Movies You Have to Watch During this Holiday Season

28
The Ultimate Holiday Movie List
YouTube

Nothing screams holiday cheer as much as a cozy night in, wrapped up in blanket safe from the snow, listening to some Bing Crosby and sipping on some hot cocoa.. and watching a holiday movie. It can be tough to cater to everyone's holiday favorites, but now you can just scroll down this list and find the perfect holiday movie for you and yours.

For the action-lover: "Die Hard" (1988)

The movie that laughed both Bruce Willis's and Alan Rickman's acting careers. If you haven't seen it, get right to it!

For the rom-com lover: "The Holiday" (2006)

A clumsy Cameron Diaz meets hunky Jude Law while hopeless romantic Kate Winslet meets surprisingly serious Jack Black. They fall in love, but will they last? Trust me, you''l want a glass of wine while watching this '06 insta-classic.

For the nostalgic: "Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (1966) and "A Charlie Brown Christmas" (1965)

These are classics you can just put on in the background, or you can watch, cry your eyes out, and sing-along to. It will transport you right back to being 5-years-old and writing lists for Santa. Also, how cute is Cindy Lou Who?

For the comedy lover: "Elf" (2003)

Will Ferrell is a comedy genius. I don't think there will be a time when "Elf" will never not make me laugh so hard it hurts. I mean, how crazy funny is an idea for a movie about a human man raised an elf in the North Pole?

For the 90's kid: Home Alone (1990)

Kevin is just too much of a badass to pass up an opportunity to rewatch this masterpiece. Seriously, how was he only 8-years-old?

For the superhero movie lover: "Batman Returns" (1992)

If you ever wondered what Batman goes through during the holidays, look no further. Tim Burton had the idea way before you and turned it into a movie. It's kinda embarrassing how close I am to having this movie fully memorized. But I should also tell you it's only because the movie's pretty much just witty (and not so witty) one-liners. So, be forewarned. Danny DeVito as the Penguin shouldn't surprise you as much.

For the New Yorker in us all: "Miracle on 34th Street" (1994)

There are other film adaptations for Valentine Davies's novella but this is the version I grew up with and the one, I think, most of us have seen. Only John Hughes could really capture the magic that is New York City during the holidays. From the gigantic lit-up tree at Rockefeller Center to the Macy's Christmas Parade, you'll feel like you're really in the Big Apple for Christmas. And, to top it off, we have Mara Wilson (aka "Matilda") as six-year-old Susan.

For the oldies lover: "It's a Wonderful Life" (1946)

So wholesome. So pure. There's no better lesson in a Christmas story than this one. This year, it is celebrating its 70th anniversary on the screen and yet we can still all learn a thing or two from George Bailey.

For a little bit of everything: "Love Actually" (2003)

You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll rethink your love life. Besides its stellar cast, it has all kinds of love stories, and it takes place in chilly Christmasy London. What more could you want in a holiday film?

For the cheesy movie lover: "Christmas Cupid" (2010)

Anything with Christina Milan immediately has my attention. Add to that my childhood crush Chad Michael Murray and it was impossible to resist. It was everything you'd expect from an ABC Family film but it's got heart and soul. Give it a go and it won't let you down.

Happy holidays!