The Ultimate Heartbreak Playlist

The Ultimate Heartbreak Playlist

13 songs to blast when your love life isn't going great.

122

Ah, young love, such a special and romantic thing.

However, with relationships comes heartbreak. Unfortunately, some people just don't work well together, and that's okay in the long run, but it's gonna hurt at first. Obviously eating ice cream, crying, and ranting with your friends is a necessary part of healing, but music is also a wonderful way to release your feelings.

Below I've compiled a list of 13 songs to help you through any heartbreak.

1. “Mean” by Taylor Swift 

Honestly, there are SO many Taylor Swift songs I could put on this list, but I tried to limit myself as much as possible. This 2010 song from her third studio album is an absolute anthem. It's the perfect song to listen to when you need to remember that you're better than the person who's been putting you down.

2. “thank u, next” by Ariana Grande

Listen I'm just as done with seeing this song on every Instagram stories as everyone else, but it's a bop for moving on. Ariana is showing class when it comes to moving on and learning to love yourself again.

3. “Beating Me Up” by Rachel Platten

No matter the reason for the breakup and even if it's the healthiest option, there's going to be a sad period. There's going to be a time when you just feel like you can't get over this, but as the song says you can overcome this.

4. “Shout Out to My Ex” by Little Mix

This is the epitome of FU songs about an ex. Not only is it about forgetting about whatever loser is in the past, but these four women really emphasize how you can come out better than ever. They acknowledge their ex helped make them who they are, but now they're moving on to bigger and better things.

5. “Used To Love You” by Gwen Stefani 

This song perfectly describes that weird emotional grief you feel after a breakup. A lot of times you know breaking up is the right thing to do, but yet it doesn't feel good. This song perfectly puts that into words for me.

6. “I Almost Do” by Taylor Swift 

For Taylor Swift's second mention on this list, I went with a lesser known song from her fourth album. The song can be interpreted a couple different ways, but regardless it's about trying to move on from someone, specifically someone you still care about. Taylor gets accused of bashing guys in every song but this is a perfect example of how she doesn't. The song reflects who actions as she tried to move past someone she once deeply cared for.

7. “The Heart Wants What It Wants” by Selena Gomez

Selena beautifully put into words how one feels during a breakup. Sometimes you just can't explain why it hurts or why'd you want to go back to someone. Sometimes it truly is because of what the heart wants.

8. “Too Good At Goodbyes” by Sam Smith

Doesn't matter if you're the one dumping someone or the one getting dumped both hurt. Saying goodbye is never easy and Sam does a good job at expressing this.

9. “Too Much To Ask” by Niall Horan

Niall clearly understands how hard moving on can be. Depending on the situation there's a lot of questions left unanswered and this song beautifully puts into words how desperately someone may want those answers.

10. “Human” by Cher Lloyd 

This song really isn't about the relationship at all, but instead the person. This song's lyrics are some of the most powerful out there. The lesson of self-empowerment within this three and a half minute song is just what any woman needs.

11. “Amnesia” by 5 Seconds of Summer

Breakups come with a lot of mixed emotions. You don't want to regret the good times in your life, but sometimes it hurts so bad to think of those memories. There's a mix of good and bad memories as you try to move on, and sometimes the only thing you think will help is if you could forget it all, especially if the other person moves on a lot faster.

12. "Bad Blood" by Taylor Swift

Another upbeat anthem to just kind of say "screw you" to the other person. The lyrics are bound to get stuck in your head, but maybe it's for the best and will keep you away from someone who isn't good enough.

13. “You Think You Know Somebody” by Hunter Hayes

You know what, sometimes you're just pissed after a breakup and that's okay. Hunter perfectly describes how frustrating it is when your opinion of someone drastically changes.