The Ultimate Ames, IA Area Summer Bucket List

Make this summer the best one yet!

185
Copenhagen Design

Do you ever hear people complain about how "boring" Ames is in the summer? This isn't true at all! Summer is about hanging out with friends and being outdoors.

If you want to make this the best summer ever, add these things to your summer 2017 bucket list:

1. Go to Ledges to Hike

15 miles west of Ames is Ledges State Park. Here you will find miles of hiking trails. Be sure to bring your camera! The views from the top of the hike are sure to complement your Instagram aesthetic.

2. Go to Ledges to Play in the Water

It’s worth the short drive to explore the stream at Ledges on a hot day. Wear waterproof shoes because some of the rocks are sharp! Hint: try to go during the week because a lot of families with children go the stream on the weekend.

3. Go to Ada Hayden Heritage Park

Ada Hayden is located in Northern Ames. Here, you can walk, run and bike on trails that go around the lake. You can also come here to fish or have a summer grill out!

4. Go Camping

You can go camping at Ledges, Ada Hayden, in your back yard … It doesn’t matter! Just make sure you have a tent, bonfire and of course s’mores.

5. Go to the Furman Aquatic Center

With your ISU-ID, a day at the aquatic center will only cost $5.50! The center has slides, a lazy river, diving boards and a recreational pool. The center opens on May 27.

6. Go to Reiman Gardens

Reiman Gardens is a 17 acre public botanical garden in Ames that is free for Iowa State students with their ISU-ID. Here you can see beautiful flowers and art. You can also visit live exotic butterflies. If you sit quietly and patiently, the butterflies might even land on you.

7. Go Campaniling and Do The Beardshear Run

If you have always wanted to participate in these Iowa State traditions, but have been too scared of getting caught … the summer is the perfect time to finally do them! They say you aren’t a true Iowa Stater until you participate in at least one crazy tradition.

8. Go to the Ames Farmers Market

Get out of bed on a Saturday morning and head down to Main Street Ames. Here you can get breakfast from a food truck, buy fruits, veggies, jams, bread, desserts and much more. The best part - there are always dogs to pet!

9. Get a Library Card

Want to save some money this summer? Go to the Ames Public Library and get yourself a library card. The library has a “media box” that is just like a RedBox but better because it’s free! You can check out books and magazines to read while you are lounging around in a hammock or by the pool.

10. Enjoy some Live Music at Durham Bandshell

On Friday evenings the Ames Parks and Recreation department and the Ames Public Library Friends Foundation provide free concerts the Bandshell Park. The park is located on the corner of 6th Street and Duff Ave.

11. Play Disc Golf

Disc golf is played like normal golf, but with Frisbees! You can play 18 holes of disc golf for free at the Carroll Marty Disk Golf Course in Gateway Park.

12. Explore the Munn Woods and the Nutty Woods

There is very little information about these nature areas online. Add these to the bucket list as new areas of the city to be explored! Munn Woods is located at 401 Hickory Drive, Ames and Nutty Woods is adjacent to the River Valley Park in Ames.

13. Eat at a New Restaurant

Have you been to Blaze yet? How about Hickory Park, the number one rated restaurant in Ames? Have you eaten at The Café, Aunt Maude’s or The Mucky Duck Pub? There are more than 130 restaurants in Ames. Try something new!

14. Go to Big Creek State Park

If you don’t mind the 33 minute drive to Polk City, Big Creek is definitely something to add to your summer bucket list. This park has biking trails, a huge wooden playground and a beach with lake activity rentals. You can rent kayaks, canoes, paddle boards, hydro bikes and more! Maybe you don’t feel like spending money … no worries! Just bring a towel and some beach floats.

With all of these fun things to do, there is no reason for Ames to be "Lames" this summer. Grab your sunscreen and go exploring! Make this a summer to remember.