A yearly occurrence, spring break is a week of relaxation, fun, and a time to get away, physically and mentally, from school work, obligations, exams, a never-ending to-do list, and general stress. However, as much fun as the annual break is, the week after when we're all back on campus is a huge reality check. Here are 10 things that every student at the University of Kentucky can relate to post-spring break.
1. It’s nearly impossible to focus on anything
Spring break is a blessing and a curse for this exact reason. During the break, you feel completely free, but after you get back to Lexington, your ability to focus is gone, still thinking about days when the only thing you needed to remember was if you put sunscreen on or not.
2. If you were in a warmer place over break, the chillier weather of Lexington is miserable
Coming back on campus, while it may be 50 degrees, is far from the 80 your body is used to. Layers and constant shivering is the result.
3. Waking up for 8 AMs got even worse, if that is even possible
No, it wasn't easy to wake up at the crack of dawn and then walk halfway across campus nearly every weekday BEFORE spring break. Now? That's a joke.
4. If you were at the beach, you are peeling EVERYWHERE from the sunburns you got on your first day
Peeling off bits of dead skin in public is a really fun time!
5. You are wide awake at 2 AM for no reason other than for the fact that you are used to being up all night over break
Setting alarms isn't really a thing when you're waking up at the beach every day, in a comfy bed somewhere, or in your own home. We did NOT miss, you Apple ringtone.
6. A 50 minute class that used to fly by (as of 2 weeks ago) feels like an eternity
And classes over an hour? Forget about it.
7. Being back on an actual schedule
On spring break, whether you're at home or on vacation, you usually plan your own days and have little to no academic obligations. Coming back to Lexington the week after the break is a slap in the face. It's like we all forgot that we usually have way more work than we know what to do with, and those Canvas notifications are fully bringing us back to reality.
8. Nope, we didn’t miss walking up the stairs to the third floor of Whitehall Classroom Building one bit
Even if you worked out over spring break, those stairs get you. Every. Single. Time.
9. Going from restaurant food, seafood, or whatever you have in your fridge and pantry at home to having to go buy groceries and eat at the 90 or champs
Definitely a rough adjustment, no doubt.
10. Having to get ready for class
Whether you spent your spring break in sweatpants, a swimsuit, or ski gear, having to get dressed for class every day once you are back isn't the most fun thing in the world.