UCLA Fraternity Gives Their Support To Cancer Patient

12-Year-Old continues her battle with the help of fraternity brothers

63
@Team_Lexi_Brown

Lexi Brown is a 12-year-old who is currently fighting cancer and heart disease. To fight against returning tumors in her lungs, she was taking a prescribed chemotherapy pill. These pills ended up turning Lexi's hair and eyebrows white which had her mother worried. After a visit to the pediatrician, it was revealed that her heart was not working to its full potential anymore. Lexi was airlifted to the UCLA Medical Center on October 30th, 2015 after finding out her heart was working at only 15%. Once she landed at the hospital, she was checked into a room which overlooked the Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity house.

(Above shows Lexi being airlifted to UCLA Medical Hospital)

While Lexi was in her room, her and her mom decided to post up a note in the window asking for pizza to have a little fun while in the hospital. This sign was noticed and her request was delivered. The gentlemen of SAE saw the sign from their house and decided to answer her request. Not only did they bring pizza, but they also brought her roses and a guitar to sing to her. After this first visit, the brothers continued their visits and made Lexi's stay a little bit easier.

After finding out one of her favorite sports is soccer, one of the brothers arranged a visit from the UCLA men's soccer team. Another visitor consisted of SAE brother/UCLA football teams quarterback, Josh Rosen. Rosen and the teams' coach gave Lexi and her family tickets to the game on the day of her release. Lexi had many other visitors but the most consistent were the brothers of SAE.

(UCLA soccer team pictured above)

Every year SAE decorates their house with lights for the holidays. This year was no different except for the small addition that was put on the roof.

Members of the fraternity have since decorated their roof with lights that spell out Lexi's name which could be seen from her hospital window. At first, the lights were in yellow but they found out her favorite color was purple so they changed it and added a heart.

(UCLA Sigma Alpha Epsilon house pictured above)

The chapter president, Kevin Autran, was interviewed and stated how the brothers felt: "It was contagious. And brothers stepped up to go visit her essentially every day. Some just stopped by to give her a little gift like a shirt or teddy bear, and some stayed for hours to hang out with her."

Lexi is currently back home in Santa Maria, California continuing her battle, but her name in lights will stay throughout the holidays. Members of the fraternity have set up a Go Fund Me account to help Lexi's family with their hospital bills. Their efforts have already raised over $19,000.

You can donate to Lexi and her family here

And you can follow UCLA SAE on twitter here