UCLA Alumni Diaries #2: Putting Your Passion Into a Plan

How A UCLA Alum Put Her Passion Into A Plan And Is Helping Thousands Of People Do The Same

"So here I am, a proud recent UCLA graduate with no "real job," no paid benefits, no 401k. But I do have big dreams, a giving and grateful heart, a driven soul, and an amazing support system of friends and family. and I think that's plenty."

150

If you're a fellow Bruin, you probably know what a "Passion Planner" is. You know, it's that booth with the really really really long line at Dickson Court during the Enormous Activities Fair. It's the planner that put the flimsy $8.00 UCLA planner to shame. It's the planner that motivated you when nobody else could. You get the point. Alongside Hydroflasks, laptops, Birkenstocks, and coffee, the Passion Planner has become a University student staple. But who's the genius behind the rapidly growing company? Meet 28-year-old C.E.O, Angelia Trinidad.

We often think that C.E.Os are intimidating, out-of-reach, and well...just not relatable. But let me tell you, Angelia's narrative is all too familiar.

It's not surprising to hear a UCLA student be "Pre-Med" or "Pre-Health." I mean, you'll hear it every single day as you bulldoze your way through Bruin Walk. In fact, Angelia was a Pre-Med student at UCLA and was looking at the very few and very parochial options given to her: 1. Doctor 2. Engineer 3. Lawyer 4.Professor 5. Nurse. Sound familiar yet?

While these are indeed noble occupations, it is no surprise that many students are often pressured to pursue them either by their parents, friends or society in general. Though we may be passionate and talented in other areas, it is very common for students to "let go" of what they love to do most in exchange for a "stable" future. However, with the competitive (and often cold) environments that Pre-Med or Pre-Health majors often create, many students tend to go through a "Mid-College Crisis."

You know, it's that feeling when you're lying in bed at 2 am thinking to yourself: Do I even like what I'm studying? Having one right now? Don't worry, Angelia did too and she made a decision that 98% of us don't have the courage to do. Angelia switched from Pre-Med to ART. To all my North Campus (humanities) folks out there, this one is for you. From Pre-Med to Art, a lot can happen. Some stress is alleviated, your creative gears are cranking again, there isn't much of a structure in your classes, and yes you'll have to engage in that annoying conversation of: "What's your major?" "__Name Any Non-STEM Major__" "Oh..so what are you going to do with that after college?" Angelia's answer?: "Hm, I'm not sure, but I know it is something that I love." Now, how many of us can say that?

Today, Angelia Trinidad is one of the leading role-models in the Filipinix and LGBTQ+ Community. She describes herself as a "meditating millennial millionaire," is an avid traveler, philanthropist, blogger, and most of all an inspiration to all of us.

1. What was your major at UCLA, and how was your educational experience? What did you learn from being a Bruin? What are the pros and cons you found while you were here?

I started off as a pre-med major and later switched into an Art major with a focus in sculpture, then I also minored in Visual and Performing Arts Education. I really enjoyed my experience at UCLA. I learned that there's lots of opportunities if you look for them. From finding resources both financially and academically, to being active, to making new friends, UCLA is a great place to find opportunity. The educational system is quite rigorous which is both a pro and con about UCLA. When I left, I felt like I was prepared to compete in the real world, but I also felt the immense amount of competition also lead a lot of students to be super over-achievers, that defined their value in only academic achievement, which can be unhealthy. There is a feeling if you're not getting ahead you're getting left behind, which I think can be a relentless standard to maintain.

2. Where did you create the first draft that is now, "Passion Planner"? How did it look like? Was it similar to the one today?

After college I moved back into my parents house. I created the first draft of Passion Planner in my childhood room, on the same desk I did all my homework on. It looks pretty similar now as it did back then. The content and the layout is the same as the original, except with updated quotes and challenges year after year. The biggest differences is that the planner is now a bit smaller in size, the cover is made out of a slightly different material, and the design has been polished up.

3. What is the best memory you made at UCLA?

The best memory I made at UCLA was pledging for the sorority, Chi Delta Theta. It brought a group of girls together who accepted me for who I was, especially as a queer woman of color, and created this sense of "family" for me on campus. I actually became the first woman in the sorority to bring a woman as my date to formals and was embraced with love and acceptance by my whole chapter! They really just wanted me to be happy, and I can still say the same to this day. Their acceptance actually changed the way many chapters functioned, because at the time, it was actually debated amongst other chapters if it was acceptable to do so.

4. What is your advice to current art students at University?

Do work that resonates with you and that you enjoy making. What you make is what you are going to be known for and you won't enjoy the journey if what you create doesn't bring you happiness. Be okay with evolving and trying something different. Do things that excite you. Lastly, as much as people roll their eyes at you when you tell them you're an art major (because we all know the feeling), know that the skills you are learning: coming up with an idea, conceptualizing it, creating a plan of execution, taking a risk to make it happen, and then putting it out into the world are some of the greatest skills you can learn in life, especially if you ever want to become an entrepreneur.

5. The divide between "North" campus and "South" campus (as well as STEM major superiority) is still very apparent at UCLA. How can we change this kind of attitude?

I believe the superiority in being a STEM major comes from the belief that people with STEM jobs are "more successful," with that definition of success usually focused purely on income and social notability. I think two things can be done to change this attitude 1) showcasing the success of people who come from North campus and 2) helping people broaden their definition of success. For example, success for me isn't about money or status it's being able to be excited about the work I do, spending time with people that bring happiness to me, having the freedom to live my life in a project-based manner, and living a life of continuous learning.

6. Many students seem to be forced into the STEM field and abandon their true passions in trade for a more "secure" future, what would you tell these students?

There's lots of opportunities for people to be successful in non-STEM fields as long as you put the same amount of work and energy into that career path. You can think more outside the box on how to survive while doing what you love. Learn about entrepreneurship, study models that have worked in the past, and reverse engineer them and improve on them. Create micro-businesses using your strengths as an artist or writer or whatever you want to label yourself, and teach classes on it. You can even make it an AirBnb experience! This can be a great way to subsidize your life so you can continue to have the freedom to pursue your passion. Don't underestimate yourself. You know more than you think you do. Find a way to provide value to people and don't sell yourself short. And whatever path you decide remember, it doesn't have to be perfect it just has to start.

7. If you hadn't made the big switch to art, what do you think your college life would be like? What would you be doing now?

I think if I would have continued on that path I would have found a way to succeed but I would have dreaded it especially competing against other students that passionately wanted to be doctors. People that have the passion have the edge. Who knows if I wouldn't have changed my mind, I would probably be in my first year in residency, but I can't really imagine it, so maybe a teacher.

8. Why would a student need a Passion Planner? And how can they use it to their advantage?

Passion Planner is one of the most useful tools for students because as a student you are faced with what could be one of the most hectic and overwhelming chapters of your lives. Passion Planner is your paper life coach, where you can define your goals, and work towards them everyday with. It is the one place for all your thoughts, an appointment calendar, goal setting guide, journal, sketchbook, gratitude log & personal and work to-do lists all in one notebook.
It acts as a second brain that you can carry with you so you don't have to try to remember everything or have it get lost and forgotten in the internet cloud or on scattered Post-Its. It helps you visualize what you need to prioritize. The planner gives you a physical safe space, away from technology to create and vent, providing you an outlet for creativity, reflection, goal setting, and gratitude. It keeps you accountable for the big picture goals and things that matter in your life, while you juggle your day to day demands so you can start focusing on what really matters to you.

9. Why is it important for students to look into entrepreneurship?

Entrepreneurship is an alternative way to approach life and making money. I see money as life energy that I receive for doing good in the world. Entrepreneurship to me is simply providing a creative way to help solve other people's problems and the more value you can bring to the person, the more life energy (money) you can attract. There are so many problems that people face and opportunities for creative solutions are infinite. Entrepreneurship and the innovation that comes with people trying to find a way to bring value to people's lives is what will help society advance. It motivates us to think outside the box and find solutions that are not out there yet. Lastly, entrepreneurship can allow people to live freer lives, so that they can choose how they spend their time and energy.

10. If you were to give a commencement speech at a UCLA graduation ceremony, what pieces of wisdom would you share?

It's okay to not have it all figured out. I don't believe there will be a point in your life where you feel like you do. It's a constant journey, where you will be faced to go into the unknown with a resilient courage. To be afraid is normal too, and when that happens just find your center, and focus on taking the next right step. Just one little step, then breathe. Then center yourself again and, take another. Take life one day at a time one step at a time, and you'll find your flow. Lastly, remember, it doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to start.

Angelia's college journey is one that'll have you thinking: "Hey, I know that feeling!" Why? Because she's just like you and me. At the end of the day, we've all experienced similar routes and perhaps even the obstacles in them. Being able to interview Angelia was an honor and privilege. Hearing her story gave me a sense of relief. Discovering more about who she is, what she represents, and what she believes in made me proud. As a Filipino-American, her narrative resonated deep within me, and I'm sure it will resonate with many others as well. It makes my heart swell to see someone of my culture with such courage and confidence to put action into her plan and receive so much success. There are many things I wish I could have asked her about like her Filipinix narrative, her platform within the LGBTQ+ community, her travels, future plans, and so much more. Though these questions may have to be saved for another day, I know for a fact that Angelia is using her platform to spread goodness and positivity in a world that may be lacking it at times. I hope her inspiring words of advice has given you hope to plan whatever you're passionate about and take it into action.

Thank you, Angelia.