Types of Journals You Can Keep

Types of Journals You Can Keep

Find a type of journal you love.
7808

A few months ago, I wrote an Odyssey article titled “The Importance of Journaling” and discussed the reasons I enjoyed journaling. Since then I have learned more about journaling and that there are so many ways to journal, so I wanted to share them:

1. Daily Life And Experiences

This is the type of journaling that most people associate with diaries and journals. People automatically assume that if you journal you have to write about what you did that day, which turns a lot of people off from journaling because they believe it would be boring to write about daily life. Even though that is the stigma, this is what my personal journal consists of, and I really enjoy writing about hanging out with friends, school, work and everyday small memories.

2. Morning Pages

The book “The Artist’s Way” by Julia Cameron explains this concept. Basically, when you wake up in the morning you grab a journal and write for three pages straight. There is no holding back. You write without caring about mistakes or grammar, just write until you hit your three page mark. This type of writing is called stream of consciousness writing where you just let all your thoughts flow out, much like they run through your head.

3. Bullet Journaling

This type of journaling has been super popular and trendy lately. You basically can design your own planner, with specific colors, designs and lists that fit your life. I have seen a ton of videos on YouTube of people sharing how they set up their bullet journal and the system they use. Although this type of journal is aesthetically pleasing, it is not practical or easy for those who are not artistic or do not have much time.

4. Scrapbook Journaling

I would personally love to start journaling like this. Using pictures, washi tape, stamps, calligraphy, fabrics and other materials, you can create a visual way to journal. Sure, you can include words and short entries, but this style of journaling is focused more on including physical memories in a journal. For example, a journaling page could be a collage of pictures from a concert you attended plus the ticket from the event, then a small entry about the day.

5. Prayer Journal

If you are religious or you strive to be, a prayer journal may be useful. If you find it difficult to pray or say a coherent prayer, then writing out your prayers may work. This still has the same intention of praying, but it is in a letter form. Plus, you get the benefit of going back and reading your prayers to see how they have been answered.

6. Dream Journal

This is another type of journal I have been wanting to try. Dreams are fleeting, so imagine if you had a journal filled with those fragments of dreams to complement your daily journal. This can unlock what you subconsciously feel about certain situations. Or you can just laugh about all your crazy, random dreams.

7. Travel Journal

If you travel often or you are planning a big trip, then a travel journal would be the perfect way to capture your memories from the trip. This type of journal would be a fun and easy journal to keep that would not take away time from your daily life.

Journaling is such an amazing way to clear your mind, relax and capture memories. I cannot explain the amount of times I have just sat and ranted for pages in my journal. It is therapeutic and helps you think through situations instead of acting based off of emotions. I just cannot recommend enough trying to journal. Try all different kinds of journaling and find one that you are comfortable with. If you feel stuck, jump on YouTube and see all of the insanely creative, talented journalers out there. I promise, you won’t regret keeping a journal.