10 Things To Know If You're Planning On Loving Someone Who Has Diabetes.

My Best Friend Of 7 Years Is Living With Type 1 Diabetes.

14

Alice and I met in our 8th grade science class, she was new to school and I barely showed up enough to notice. She saved me from much more than having to go to summer school that year.

1. You Wouldn't Know Just By Looking.

So many people believe that you must eat/look a certain way in order to have Diabetes, I'm here to inform you that what you may have come to believe is FALSE.

2. Get Used To The Needles, There's A LOT!!

Needles were always one of my biggest fears, now I feel like I could be a Phlebotomist.

3. Some Days Are Worse Than Others.

Sometimes mood swings DO happpen, and that's okay.

4. Be A Nurse And A Friend.

Occasionally you need to tend to them, just know they appreciate you being there for them.

5. Insulin is waaayy more expensive than it should be.

Insulin can cost anywhere from $400-$800 a month. Sometimes even more. That's more than my rent.

6. Sick Days WILL Happen.

School was always hard when she was out sick, thankfully we lived together and I got to see her more often than not.

7. She Could Of Died.

Going untreated could result in many thing, please get checked. At any age.

8. There Is Still No Cure.

With all this modern medicine people are hoping for a cure soon.

9. Warning Signs.

Drowsiness or lethargy, extreme thirst, frequent urination, fruity odor on the breath, increased appetite, heavy or labored breathing, sudden weight loss, sudden vision changes, sugar in the urine, stupor or unconsciousness.

10. Her Highs And Lows, Have Become My Highs And Lows.

I've become so thankful for her in the past 7 years. I'm so grateful to all of her Doctors that have helped her. Loving someone with Diabetes isn't much different than loving anyone else. There's just more to learn.