2 Ways To Change The World For Free

2 Ways To Change The World For Free

Looking to change the world, but you have no money? Here is what you've been looking for.

5
2 Ways To Change The World For Free
Taylor McClure

Want to be the change you wish to see in the world? Here are a couple forms of donation that won’t cost you an arm and a leg.

Something I have always admired about a person is their giving heart. Are they willing to help someone without expecting something in return? Do they give to people not as fortunate as them? A giving heart is a quality that is so important to have in a world that is going downhill fast. I have come up with a quick list of ways I like to give back to the community that keeps gives to me.

1. Clean Out the Closet

I have always been so blessed with a family that has always given me more than enough. I was the middle school girl that had the latest Justice and Abercrombie clothing, and believe it or not these clothes are still alive and well! I had my share of middle school drama with my colorful clothing, but maybe it is time to let some other girl have her share. We all have those clothes sitting in the back of our closet that we will never wear again, even if we keep telling ourselves we will. Sometimes we have emotional memories attached to clothing, like the shirt we wore to the talent show audition or the dress we wore to our great grandpa’s funeral, but I promise you that the memories will still be there after the clothes aren’t. Giving nice, clean clothes to someone in need can make all the difference in the world. YOUR clothes may give them the confidence to go to the school dance with their friends. YOUR clothes may provide them with the proper attire for the sport they have been dying to play. YOUR clothes may be the only things that will keep them warm while they wait in the bus line. I urge you to go through your closet and find at least a few things you can give to someone not as lucky as you. My town has many donation bins that deposit your donations into a safe place until the company comes to pick them up. I am sure you can find something similar near you.

2. Hair Donation

Hair Donation is something I tried for the first time last summer. To be eligible for most hair donation centers, you must have at least eight inches of chemical free hair to donate. As the research nerd I am, I HAD to do my hair donation center research. Most people recommend sending your hair off to Locks of Love mainly because it is the only donation center they have heard of, but through my research I learned this really wasn’t the best place to send your hair. Believe it or not, Locks of Love actually charges their patients for the wigs! They take a look at the financial standing of the family needing a wig and base their price off of what they see. I believe everyone going through a medical treatment/disease that causes hair loss would really appreciate a free head of hair whether they can afford one at the time or not. I sent 13 inches to the Children with Hair Loss Foundation. The CWHL Foundation provides children with free of charge wigs made from donator's hair along with a hair care kit so they can style their new do! I love this foundation and everything they stand for! I strongly recommend donating hair. People going through hair loss have unimaginable drops in self-confidence, and a new head of hair may be exactly what they need to feel like themselves again. Some hairstylists give you a discounted or free haircut when you tell them you are donating your hair. My hair grows like a wildfire, so I will continue to donate my hair for as long as I can.

I hope these two donation ideas inspired you to get out and get giving. Be someone’s blessing today, and donate.