Twitter Creates A Space For Hate And It Is Practically Ruining My Life

I shouldn’t have to say this, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion, whether you agree with it or not.

59
Unsplash

Social media has always been a toxic place. Whether it’s Facebook, Instagram, etc., hateful comments and harsh opinions are given about basically everything; however, I feel that Twitter is by far the most damaging, destructive, and divisive.

It has been said that there are two things you don’t talk about with people you want to stay your friends: politics and religion. That rule is ignored on Twitter. Instead, it has become commonplace to discuss these issues on a broad platform, and although it is healthy to have conversations about such issues, it is the way with which these topics are discussed that it becomes a problem.

Instead of treating others’ opinions with respect, people use degrading language and sarcasm to fire back at one another’s point of view. If someone says something we disagree with, we have the power to just quote their tweet and make some sassy remark for likes and retweets.

At this point in time, it is almost unacceptable to have an opinion that goes against the norm on Twitter. For example, most conservatives get slammed on Twitter whereas most liberals get praised. As someone who considers themselves to be moderate, slightly left-leaning, I find major issue with this.

I shouldn’t have to say this, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion, whether you agree with it or not. You would want people to understand and accept your opinions, so do the same to other people in return. People tend to get very intense, especially with politics, but as long as you have valid reasons for why you believe what you do, you have earned my respect.

Unfortunately, politics is only one facet of Twitter that I take issue with. It also tends to take away the love I have for something that other people dislike. For example, I’m a fan of both the book and Netflix show “Thirteen Reasons Why.” I’m not saying that it doesn’t have its issues, but in my opinion, it tackles a topic that needs to be talked about in a thought-provoking, unglorified way.

When I turn to Twitter, all I see is extreme hate towards the show. People say things like “the show glorifies suicide” and “this is a disgusting portrayal of mental illness.” I respect these opinions and I can see where people are coming from; however, it’s just not my opinion, and if I were to speak out on how I felt about it, I would probably get attacked for my opinion.

This book left a massive impact on my life when I was 16, and I don’t want to let Twitter take that away from me. I’ve still only seen one episode of season two because I believe seeing hate day after day makes me almost ashamed for watching something that others strongly dislike.

People on Twitter need to be more respectful. Most of us wouldn’t treat people’s opinions in real life the way we treat them on screen. Whether it is in politics, entertainment, etc., everyone deserves respect in regards to their opinions.